Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Caroline

Default Macros and AutoTextLists in Mail Merge Document

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Im trying to set out about 70 standard letters for my team at work, the
information being merged out from a CSV files created by our data processing
programme. As part of this I need to additionally put in some AutoTestLists.
After a scary amount of battling and constantly looking back to The Word MVP
Site, Ive managed to set this up, and make the files so I could distribute
them to the rest of the team.

Sadly, some of the team dont have good IT skills and find remembering to
right click over the AutoTextLists *before* the merge the documents a little
hard because they dont really understand how it works. Ideally what I would
like to do is create a Macro that runs on opening that goes between each
AutoTextList and prompts the user to select the right entry, then merges the
document to a new file. Unfortunately this is a little more complex then I
can think my way round.

If I dont use macros. Is there any other way round this? And if I do use
macros, any suggestions as to how to do this or where else to look for
information.

Any help would be greatly received. Im about ready to rip my hair out!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Look into Userforms. You can create one that will pop up when the new
document is being created, get the information you need, put it in the right
place, and then allow a merge.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Caroline" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Caroline

Thank you. That's given me a lot to look at.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

I know that it will mean reworking what you are doing, but in the long run I
expect it will be much easier for your users. With a userform, they won't
need to look for and find the AutoTextList fields.
--

"Caroline" wrote in message
Thank you. That's given me a lot to look at.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Caroline

Thank you very much. I have tried this out and it works perfectly. I need to
play about a bit to get it doing exactly what I need, IE putting certain
specifically formatted paragraphs, but Im sure I can manage it.

Is it possible to easily transfer a UserForm from one document to another.
Will the €˜templates organiser allow me to do it using the Macro Project
Items tab?

Thank you again. You have helped me out a lot.