Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

Default Singular/Plural or He/she

What would be the best way to change a merged document based on
masculine/feminine, singular/plural. For example, if the subject was a
woman, it would be "she", "her", "hers" etc? If there were two or more
people referenced, it would be "they", "them", their", etc. Also the verbs
would have to be changed from singular to plural, e.g., 'she buys", "they
buy". And what about capitalization for the beginning of sentences. This is
beginning to seem impossible!

The data for this will be merged from a database. Should I create fields in
the database to indicate Male, Female or Plural, or should I use something in
Word to indicate?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

you would want a gender field
I wouldn't want to attempt the singular plural but you could.
In your Word merge you would test for the contents of the gender field and
then use different words depending on tHat field's contents. For examples of
fields that do this download the Gender Toolbar template from
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Michelle" wrote in message
What would be the best way to change a merged document based on
masculine/feminine, singular/plural. For example, if the subject was a
woman, it would be "she", "her", "hers" etc? If there were two or more
people referenced, it would be "they", "them", their", etc. Also the
verbs
would have to be changed from singular to plural, e.g., 'she buys", "they
buy". And what about capitalization for the beginning of sentences. This
is
beginning to seem impossible!

The data for this will be merged from a database. Should I create fields
in
the database to indicate Male, Female or Plural, or should I use something
in
Word to indicate?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

Thanks so much, that gender toolbar is great and works fine in 2003. I have
emailed you as requested to get notified of updates, but mention in the email
that I may need to hire your services. I know you say you don't want to
attempt the singular/plural part, but if you can't do it, certainly I cannot!
Can you do it, or can you refer me elsewhere?

"Michelle" wrote in message
What would be the best way to change a merged document based on
masculine/feminine, singular/plural. For example, if the subject was a
woman, it would be "she", "her", "hers" etc? If there were two or more
people referenced, it would be "they", "them", their", etc. Also the
verbs
would have to be changed from singular to plural, e.g., 'she buys", "they
buy". And what about capitalization for the beginning of sentences. This
is
beginning to seem impossible!

The data for this will be merged from a database. Should I create fields
in
the database to indicate Male, Female or Plural, or should I use something
in
Word to indicate?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I think you have hit the nail on the head - it will be a slog. I have never
had to do this, but in order to achieve this, you have to know exactly what
genders and numbers you are dealing with, and include the appropriate texts
at every point in the document where they can vary. There are several
possible ways to do that. In all cases I would create fields in the database
for gender and number (and whatever else you need), unless there is some
really simple way to deduce what is required for each record you merge.
Then, there are several approaches including
a. use different mail merge main documents for each combination of
number/gender, and do separate merges for each main document
b. use IF fields to determine which texts you need
c. use INCLUDETEXT fields to include the appropriate texts, either using
different files or using bookmarks in the included document to name the
texts you need (you may also be able to use AUTOTEXTs)
d. use Mailmerge events and VBA to insert the correct values.

If the texts for different gender/number combinations are radically
different, (a) might be appropriate. Otherwise, on the whole, I'd try to
stick with (b) on the grounds that it's the simplest and most direct
approach and keeps everything in one place. If you have to deal with a /lot/
of variations in your text, (c) might become more attractive. I'd only use
(d) if I couldn't use the other methods and there was someone around to
maintain the code.

A problem with (c) is that MS makes INCLUDETEXTing increasingly less
reliable/usable over time. However, the idea is as follows:

Suppose you are just interested in Male/Female/Singular/Plural. You might
decide there are 5 cases:
Female Singular
Male Singular
Female Plural
Male Plural
Mixed Plural

You could represent this in many ways in your data, e.g. a code for each
combination (e.g. 1-5), or store the "gender" in one field, say as F,M,N and
the number separately as S,P. Personally I would try to keep the pieces of
information separate in my data but try to combine them (perhaps using a
View/Query) for use by Mailmerge because it makes writing the necessary IF
or INCLUDETEXT fields simpler. Let's suppose you use F,M,D and S,P, and
concatenate them for merge to FS, FP, MS, MP, NP in a field called
"Variation". Then suppose you have to insert

her, his, or their in the document.

You can do this in two ways:

1. multiple documents

Have five documents, say c:\mywords\fs.doc, c:\mywords\fp.doc etc.

in fs.doc, type the word "her" and use insert|bookmark to insert a bookmark
called "her"

You would have the "FS" version of all the other texts you need in this
document, all bookmarked with whatever name you want to give each text. You
might need to have different versions for "firstcap" texts, capitalised
texts, etc., or you may be able to rely on field formatting switches such as
\*Caps in your mail merge main document to do that stuff.

Copy the document to fp.doc and change the word "her" to "their", ensuring
that the whole word is still bookmarked as "her". Do the same for all the
other texts, and repeat for MS, MP, NP, or whatever sequence makes it easy.

In you mail merge main document, whenever you need "her/his/their", use

{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\mywords\\{ MERGEFIELD variation }.doc" "her" }

2. One document

In this approach, you would have one document, say called "c:\mywords\v.doc"

For her/his/their you type a line, or multiple lines containing
her his their

Bookmark "her" as herFS
Bookmark "his" as herMS
Bookmark "their" as herFP, herMP and herNP

Do the same for all the other texts

In your mail merge main document, use

{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\mywords\\v.doc" "her{ MERGEFIELD variation }" }

You could doubtless do other stuff to help you use and maintain that stuff,
but that's the gist of it anyway.

Peter Jamieson
"Michelle" wrote in message
What would be the best way to change a merged document based on
masculine/feminine, singular/plural. For example, if the subject was a
woman, it would be "she", "her", "hers" etc? If there were two or more
people referenced, it would be "they", "them", their", etc. Also the
verbs
would have to be changed from singular to plural, e.g., 'she buys", "they
buy". And what about capitalization for the beginning of sentences. This
is
beginning to seem impossible!

The data for this will be merged from a database. Should I create fields
in
the database to indicate Male, Female or Plural, or should I use something
in
Word to indicate?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi Michelle,

To get you started on the single/plural issue, try coding up a series of
fields like this:
{QUOTE{ASK Number "How many bowls?"}"{Number} bowl{=Number-1 \# s;;}."}
and
{QUOTE{ASK Number "How many tries?"}"{Number} tr{=Number-1 \# ies;;y}."}
and input any number you like. The above use a formula field to work out
whether to add/not add the plural extension, and assumes you're not working
with negative values ...

In a mailmerge, you'd use something like:
{MERGEFIELD Word}{=(MERGEFIELD Qty -1 \# s;;}}
for words where the plural form simply requires the addition of an 's', or:
{MERGEFIELD Word_Stem}{=(MERGEFIELD Qty -1 \# ies;;y}}
for words ending in 'y' where the plural form requires replacing the 'y'
with 'ies'.

As you can see, this could get quite complicated once you start working with
the many permutations and combinations that are possible.

Cheers

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Michelle,

Unless you are producing something commercial, this would be
cost-prohibitive whether I do it or someone else. However, it would be a
good exercise for you so that you can learn how IF fields work and the logic
ingrained in such structure.

The gender toolbar uses document properties and changes pronouns based on
male or female settings of the Document Property "Gender." To use the same
fields in a mailmerge you test for a MergeField Gender instead of a
DocProperty Gender. Note that these tests are sensitive to case. That is
"male" and "Male" are not the same word.
--

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me - it will take me some
time to digest the answers! I am thinking of just creating one set of docs
for masc/fem and a second set of documents for the plurals (jsut becuase the
proper changing of the verbs would be really time-consuming, if even
possible).

"Michelle" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle

As discussed previously, I am happily using your gender toolbar. You
included an email link with the toolbar to request updates/suggestions. That
email was returned to me. Since you have already (rightly) chided me for
incorrect protocol, I am wondering how to get a correct email address for and
inform you of my email address, privately.

"Michelle" wrote in message
Thanks so much, that gender toolbar is great and works fine in 2003. I
have
emailed you as requested to get notified of updates, but mention in the
email
that I may need to hire your services. I know you say you don't want to
attempt the singular/plural part, but if you can't do it, certainly I
cannot!
Can you do it, or can you refer me elsewhere?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Hi Michelle,

There are no updates but suggestions are welcome.
My domain server stopped forwarding anything addressed to my domain to me,
thus invalidating innumerable email addresses. You can reach me at charles
kenyon at charter dot net. You'll need to remove the spaces and turn it into
a real email address.