Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

Default Ref field with graphic

Hi, all;

I am trying to create a business card template where members of our
organization can enter their information once and have it replicated in all
8 locations on the Avery template. To do this, I am trying to use a ref
field that links to the entire inner table that is the business card layout.
The top cel of the table contains a floating graphic, because this is card
has a bleed on the top and left edges. The problem is that the ref gets
everything in the cel but the graphic. Or maybe it did get the graphic, but
it is on top of the original graphic.

Any ideas?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Have a look at http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm
Create all the labels (business cards) with the REF field(s) then add an ASK
field(s) to the first label to gather the data. Save the following macro *in
the document - not in normal.dot*. Save as a template. On creating a new
document from the template the ASK field(s) will pop up and request the data
and fill the ref fields with that data.

Sub AutoNew()
Dim oStory As Range
Dim oField As Field
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
For Each oField In oStory.Fields
oField.Update
Next oField
Next oStory
End Sub

Amy Blankenship wrote:
Hi, all;

I am trying to create a business card template where members of our
organization can enter their information once and have it replicated
in all 8 locations on the Avery template. To do this, I am trying to
use a ref field that links to the entire inner table that is the
business card layout. The top cel of the table contains a floating
graphic, because this is card has a bleed on the top and left edges. The
problem is that the ref gets everything in the cel but the
graphic. Or maybe it did get the graphic, but it is on top of the
original graphic.
Any ideas?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

I think you're missing the point. My question is STRICTLY about how to get
the ref field to show the floating graphic that is included in the table
that is wrapped in the bookmark to show in the other places it is
referenced. I think I can handle it from there if I can just get that part
to work. No amount of updating is going to do anything for me if I can't
get the entirety of the referenced items to display in the ref field in the
first place.

Hope this clarifies.

Amy Blankenship wrote:
Hi, all;

I am trying to create a business card template where members of our
organization can enter their information once and have it replicated
in all 8 locations on the Avery template. To do this, I am trying to
use a ref field that links to the entire inner table that is the
business card layout. The top cel of the table contains a floating
graphic, because this is card has a bleed on the top and left edges. The
problem is that the ref gets everything in the cel but the
graphic. Or maybe it did get the graphic, but it is on top of the
original graphic.
Any ideas?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are not going to be able to do that - which is why I suggested an
alternative method that will work.

Amy Blankenship wrote:
Hi, all;

I am trying to create a business card template where members of our
organization can enter their information once and have it replicated
in all 8 locations on the Avery template. To do this, I am trying
to use a ref field that links to the entire inner table that is the
business card layout. The top cel of the table contains a floating
graphic, because this is card has a bleed on the top and left
edges. The problem is that the ref gets everything in the cel but
the graphic. Or maybe it did get the graphic, but it is on top of the
original graphic.
Any ideas?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Amy Blankenship Amy Blankenship is offline

OK, please tell me which part of your response doesn't require the ref field
to show the graphic, because nothing in there looks like it actually solves
the problem or is any kind of a different approach. Your answer seems to be
concentrated on how to collect the user's data and get it to update the ref
fields once collected.

Amy Blankenship wrote:
Hi, all;

I am trying to create a business card template where members of our
organization can enter their information once and have it replicated
in all 8 locations on the Avery template. To do this, I am trying
to use a ref field that links to the entire inner table that is the
business card layout. The top cel of the table contains a floating
graphic, because this is card has a bleed on the top and left
edges. The problem is that the ref gets everything in the cel but
the graphic. Or maybe it did get the graphic, but it is on top of the
original graphic.
Any ideas?

TIA;

Amy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The answer concentrates on the collection and insertion of the data because
the rest is included in the link I posted
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm . The link explains how to put
floating graphics in the cells of a page of labels.

You create your page of labels (the business cards) minus the variable
information, and then add that variable information by means of an ASK and
REF fields. The graphic, which is the same for all the labels will, by then,
already be on the label. Save the lot as a template complete with the macro
to update the fields.