Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default TOC style applied to entire section??

My first time inserting a TOC (Word 2002). I've got the styles defined and
applied. I've got the TOC field inserted and it looks pretty much okay.
But it looks like when I inserted the field, _everything_ in that section
got tagged with TOC1 style! Is this normal behavior? Or did I do something
incorrectly?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Hi, Suzanne.
other parts
of your document (outside the field) have been tagged as TOC 1?

Everything else in that section that was originally Normal style, including
a two-cell table, were tagged as TOC1.

Now, though, after I've played with formatting, etc, to modify the TOC1
style to how I want (couldn't see how to create a new TOC style), all that
is tagged TOC1 is the field. I don't know what I did - but it might come in
handy some day if I can ever figure it out!

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you saying that everything in the TOC field is TOC 1 or that other
parts
of your document (outside the field) have been tagged as TOC 1?

so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
My first time inserting a TOC (Word 2002). I've got the styles defined

and
applied. I've got the TOC field inserted and it looks pretty much okay.
But it looks like when I inserted the field, _everything_ in that section
got tagged with TOC1 style! Is this normal behavior? Or did I do

something
incorrectly?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure that there is a paragraph break (not just a line break) separating
the TOC and the rest of the text and that there are paragraph breaks in the
rest of the text. If the whole thing were in one paragraph...

"Ed" wrote in message
Hi, Suzanne.
other parts
of your document (outside the field) have been tagged as TOC 1?

Everything else in that section that was originally Normal style,

including
a two-cell table, were tagged as TOC1.

Now, though, after I've played with formatting, etc, to modify the TOC1
style to how I want (couldn't see how to create a new TOC style), all that
is tagged TOC1 is the field. I don't know what I did - but it might come

in
handy some day if I can ever figure it out!

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you saying that everything in the TOC field is TOC 1 or that other
parts
of your document (outside the field) have been tagged as TOC 1?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
My first time inserting a TOC (Word 2002). I've got the styles defined

and
applied. I've got the TOC field inserted and it looks pretty much

okay.
But it looks like when I inserted the field, _everything_ in that

section
got tagged with TOC1 style! Is this normal behavior? Or did I do

something
incorrectly?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

No, it was a header on top of the page "Table of Contents", a paragraph
break, a two-cell table with "Section" in the left cell and "Page" in the
right cell, and at least one more paragraph. The first time also gave me
"Table of contents(continued)" on the next page as a result of inserting the
TOC field.

"Ed" wrote in message
My first time inserting a TOC (Word 2002). I've got the styles
defined
and
applied. I've got the TOC field inserted and it looks pretty much

okay.
But it looks like when I inserted the field, _everything_ in that

section
got tagged with TOC1 style! Is this normal behavior? Or did I do
something
incorrectly?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you working with a premade template? These issues sound like what you
would encounter in this case. The header on the next page is something that
has to have been saved in the template. It also sounds as if the Section and
Page table was intended for creating a manual TOC; inserting a TOC field was
probably not envisioned in the template designer's design.