Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers Scott Meyers is offline

Default Opening Word without a blank document

As things stand now, when I open Word, it comes up with a blank document. I'd
like it to come up with no document at all. Is there a way to configure it to
do this? I'm running Word 2002.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Add the /n switch to the shortcut used to start Word.

I'd like to. Unfortunately, Word seems to use some kind of special shortcut.
The shortcut target is listed as "Microsoft Office XP Professional" and is
greyed out; it can't be edited. Ditto for Excel and PowerPoint. Any idea how
I can edit the command lines for these shortcuts?

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Copy a Word Start icon to the Desktop. Then right-click it and select
Properties. Add the /n switch to the startup path.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I'd like to. Unfortunately, Word seems to use some kind of special
shortcut.
: The shortcut target is listed as "Microsoft Office XP Professional" and is
: greyed out; it can't be edited. Ditto for Excel and PowerPoint. Any
idea how
: I can edit the command lines for these shortcuts?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the default shortcuts are uneditable. But you can find Winword.exe and
create a new shortcut that will be editable.

Okay, that worked, but can somebody explain to me what kind of shortcut is
originally created that shows no path and is not editable? I've never seen that
kind of shortcut before.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's the shortcut that Office creates when you install the program, so
there's no telling how it works this magic. I have no idea what the
reasoning was behind making it uneditable, but I personally think that
sucks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the default shortcuts are uneditable. But you can find Winword.exe

and
create a new shortcut that will be editable.

Okay, that worked, but can somebody explain to me what kind of shortcut is
originally created that shows no path and is not editable? I've never

seen that
kind of shortcut before.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

This works fine on my home PC but not in my office.
When I create a shortcut on my desktop there, the target (Microsoft Office
Small Business Edition 2003) is greyed out and the "Start in:" box is blank.
Do I take it there is no way round this, please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's the shortcut that Office creates when you install the program, so
there's no telling how it works this magic. I have no idea what the
reasoning was behind making it uneditable, but I personally think that
sucks.

so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the default shortcuts are uneditable. But you can find Winword.exe

and
create a new shortcut that will be editable.

Okay, that worked, but can somebody explain to me what kind of shortcut
is
originally created that shows no path and is not editable? I've never

seen that
kind of shortcut before.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Microsoft Office Small Business Edition" can't be a valid target for a
shortcut to start Word. You need to find winword.exe (you'll have to set
Windows to display hidden files and folders), then create a shortcut to it.

"ab" wrote in message
This works fine on my home PC but not in my office.
When I create a shortcut on my desktop there, the target (Microsoft Office
Small Business Edition 2003) is greyed out and the "Start in:" box is

blank.
Do I take it there is no way round this, please?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's the shortcut that Office creates when you install the program, so
there's no telling how it works this magic. I have no idea what the
reasoning was behind making it uneditable, but I personally think that
sucks.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the default shortcuts are uneditable. But you can find

Winword.exe
and
create a new shortcut that will be editable.

Okay, that worked, but can somebody explain to me what kind of shortcut
is
originally created that shows no path and is not editable? I've never

seen that
kind of shortcut before.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

I have hidden files displayed but a search does not turn up winword.exe -
only Microsoft Office Word 2003 in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office. I have looked on all drives.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the default shortcuts are uneditable. But you can find

Winword.exe
and
create a new shortcut that will be editable.

Okay, that worked, but can somebody explain to me what kind of
shortcut
is
originally created that shows no path and is not editable? I've never
seen that
kind of shortcut before.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

I have just checked Control Panel / Add and Remove.. and discovered that
whoever set up Office when we had a new server installed had done something
strange. I have just told it to add Word and it has updated things and I now
have a winword.exe!