Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Bagnall Brian Bagnall is offline

Default New Style with Dropcap character

Hi,

I want to create a style called "First Paragraph" that makes the very first
character enlarged (3x font size) and drop cap. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Unfortunately, you can't. Drop caps are created using frames, and, although
a frame can be incorporated in a paragraph style, that applies only if the
frame encloses the entire paragraph. You could save the drop cap as an
AutoText entry, I suppose, but here's what I do when I'm typesetting books
that have chapters beginning with drop caps:

1. Assuming I'm using Body Text First Indent for most of the text, I use the
Body Text (no first-line indent) style for the first paragraph in the
chapter.

2. When all the text has been otherwise formatted, I select the first letter
of the first chapter and do Format | Drop Cap, selecting the desired
options.

3. I then go to the beginning of the next chapter (if you have section
breaks between chapters, you can use the Browse by Section option for the
browse arrows), select the first character and F4 (repeat), which formats
that character the same as the first.

4. Repeat for each subsequent chapter opener.