Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nienke Nienke is offline

Default How can I put 2 textdoc's in columns next to eachother in 1 doc ?

I have one document with a Latin text and one with my translation. Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let Word make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I don't want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this was not possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as perfect as
possible by the end of the week...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Use a two-column table without borders.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my translation.

Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let Word

make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I don't

want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this was not

possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as perfect

as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note that footnotes will be renumbered as the two documents are
combined.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my translation.

Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let Word

make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I don't

want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this was

not
possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as

perfect
as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nienke Nienke is offline

Default How can I put 2 textdoc's in columns next to eachother in 1 do

It seemed to work out nice, but now all my line numbers in the Latin text are
gone. I understand all numbers might get completely different since the
letters are not smaller (I suppose it's not possible to have the same
numbering, maybe through a lettertype twice as small, as I had before, since
I refer to those numbers in my thesis...), but it doesn't seem possible to
get back line numbers in the margins of the Latin text... Do you know any
solution for this?

Thank you.

Nienke Tjoelker.

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my translation.

Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let Word

make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I don't

want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this was

not
possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as

perfect
as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm afraid that line numbers won't show for text in a table cell. You
can fake it, by typing the numbers in a text box, located in the left
margin. Whether it is worth the effort, depends on the length of this
"parallel text."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my

translation.
Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let

Word
make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I

don't
want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this

was
not
possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as

perfect
as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nienke Nienke is offline

hmmm, it is 36 pages of Latin on normal A4-format, so even more in the
column... That's going to take a lot of time... Well, thanks anyway, I'll see
with which of the two faults I'll have to live.
Nienke

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my

translation.
Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let

Word
make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I

don't
want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this

was
not
possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as
perfect
as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Fake line numbers that restart on each page can be created by
anchoring the text box to the header; it will then repeat on each
page.

Fake line numbers that are continuous will be more difficult to
handle. With a new text box for each page, the length of the "parallel
text" becomes an important factor (a short text can be handled more
easily).

And, in either case, you would likely have to set the line spacing of
all text to an exact amount, if numbers should line up with the text.
:-(

--

"Nienke" wrote in message
I have one document with a Latin text and one with my

translation.
Now I want
to put them in two columns next to eachother. But when I let

Word
make
columns, it decides for me what to put in which column and I

don't
want that.

I have already tried to put the text in textboxes, but this

was
not
possible
since there are footnotes in the text.

Please help me if you know, it's my thesis and has to be as
perfect
as
possible by the end of the week...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It does seem to require a lot of extra work. Maybe you should take a
step back and ask if it is possible to keep the different language
versions in different files--or at least find out how the problem was
handled in the past.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP