Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Default Hope not OT, Converting to pdf files

Using Adobe Acrobat Version 6 I convert Word Docs to pdf files. I send out
these files customers and most can open and read them. However around 5% say
in the email body is a mass of gobbledy gook and can't open or read the
file..

I see on my Adobe software it is saved to be backward compatible to be read
by version 5 onwards and wondered if the recipient had an earlier version it
would cause the problem. I could change the settings to make it further
backward compatible but it seem to balloon the file size.

Any help appreciated and sorry if not quite the right NG but couldn't find
any other.

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

My guess is that those with problems don't have Acrobat reader installed and
are trying to open the file in Word.

Ken wrote:
Using Adobe Acrobat Version 6 I convert Word Docs to pdf files. I
send out these files customers and most can open and read them.
However around 5% say in the email body is a mass of gobbledy gook
and can't open or read the file..

I see on my Adobe software it is saved to be backward compatible to
be read by version 5 onwards and wondered if the recipient had an
earlier version it would cause the problem. I could change the
settings to make it further backward compatible but it seem to
balloon the file size.
Any help appreciated and sorry if not quite the right NG but couldn't
find any other.

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

No being sent as attachment. We send several hundred each month to differing
people and only a handful of people each month report this problem.

Ken

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In addition to Graham's point, if you are sending the PDF as the body of
the
email (as your wording suggests), then it will not be readable even by
Adobe
Reader.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Ken

Is it always the same recipients who are reading it as gobbledygook? It may
be a problem with the ISP/carrier that is destroying the attachments
(overzealous AV).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
: No being sent as attachment. We send several hundred each month to
differing
: people and only a handful of people each month report this problem.
:
: Ken
:
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: In addition to Graham's point, if you are sending the PDF as the body of
: the
: email (as your wording suggests), then it will not be readable even by
: Adobe
: Reader.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
: