Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MJones MJones is offline

Default Forms and continuous section breaks (dropdown & fill-ins)

Hi,

I'm creating about 30 standard letters. Each letter will have some dropdown
boxes and some sections where you click and replace text; I'll call these the
'replacement text boxes'. The text that is replaced in the replacement text
boxes is stuff like 'manager's title' or 'employee improvement you would like
them to exhibit'. So users know what goes in the box, I've added these
helpful comments as default text in the Text Form Field Options window.

I've got it working with one aggrevation.

For the replacement text boxes, I do not protect/lock the sections. That
way, when users click in the boxes, the helpful comment text that's there, is
replaced by the user's text. Good that works.

For the dropdown boxes, I need to protect/lock the sections so the boxes
will drop down. I'm using continuous section breaks around these boxes.
Good they work.

The aggrevation is that continuous section breaks force a new line after
them. This is a problem when I have both a dropdown box and a replacement
text box on the same line. Sometimes, there will be a return in the middle
of the line unless I can be crafty enough to word the text so the break is at
the end of a line.

Does anyone have any better approach to accomplish the same thing? I'm
using Word 2003, but my client that will be using the forms has Word 2002.

I'd really appreciate any ideas you may have. I'm not really a VB
programmer, and altough I understand a little of it, I was hoping not to have
to go that direction.

Thank you,

Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I believe your only problem is that you are trying to insert the section
breaks at the *end* of a paragraph. The insertion point can't be moved to
the right of the marker, so the break is inserted *before* the marker,
forcing it down - you can't have a section break in the 'midst' of a line
(without breaking the line). Put your insertion point at the *beginning* of
the line where you want the break to occur - IOW, always think of secton
breaks as the *start* of a section, not as the *end* of one.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MJones MJones is offline

Hi Bob,

My basic problem is that I can't break in the middle of a line without
having a line break.

I'm trying to break in between the dropdown box and the replacement text
boxes, and if that means in the middle of the line, then I need to do that so
they both work properly.

Basically, if this idea won't work, I'm looking for another strategy to
accomplish this form letter request. It doesn't seem to be such a wild idea
to me and I'm hoping that someone would have run across it that can help.

Thanks for trying,

Michele

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If what you want is something like:

Text Form Field Here Drop-Down Form Field Here

I think you may be under a wrong impression about how Protection works in
forms. You don't need Section Breaks for this.

The protection feature determines whether a user can change things about the
document content/structure/formatting & can be regulated by the use of
Section Breaks. Text Form Fields & Drop-Down Form Fields function the same
regardless of whether the section they're in is protected or not. It's just
that the Protect Form (Lock) button needs to be turned on in order for them
to function. IOW, there is a distinction between protecting the *Form* &
protecting the *Document* containing the form controls.

For better control I'd suggest using a table (2 column, 1 row) with the Text
Form Field in one cell & the D-D Form Field in the second. Unless you need
them for other reasons, though, Section Breaks aren't required unless you
want people to change things (revise text, for example) in specified areas
of the doc & its content *other than* using the form controls. When you
click the Lock button the controls will be active regardless of what type
they are. The user just can't delete any content, change margins, move tabs,
add content - other than in the provided controls.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MJones MJones is offline

Remember, there are 30 letters and some of the field entries could be several
lines long so tables won't work.

Also, I find that locking makes a big difference. The dropdown box doesn't
dropdown unless its locked and the text boxes can't be locked or then the
text in them won't go away when you click on them.

I got this idea from a website, I think an MVP. I'll try to find it if that
will help and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for your help so far.

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As long as you tab into the text form fields, the text will be selected. I
think it would be much more sensible to protect the entire form and expect
users to know how to use it properly; I would find it extremely confusing
and frustrating to fill in a form that had form fields that couldn't be used
as such. (Actually, I've had this experience; I got a form that contained
form fields but was not protected, and there were elaborate instructions
telling users how to open the Form Field Options dialog and change the check
box from unchecked to checked!)

news

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MJones MJones is offline

That sounds good Suzanne, except that the tab key just makes a tab. How do
you get the tab to jump to the next field?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As long as you tab into the text form fields, the text will be selected. I
think it would be much more sensible to protect the entire form and expect
users to know how to use it properly; I would find it extremely confusing
and frustrating to fill in a form that had form fields that couldn't be used
as such. (Actually, I've had this experience; I got a form that contained
form fields but was not protected, and there were elaborate instructions
telling users how to open the Form Field Options dialog and change the check
box from unchecked to checked!)

news

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When the document (all of it) is protected, Tab goes to the next field.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As long as you tab into the text form fields, the text will be selected.

think it would be much more sensible to protect the entire form and

expect
users to know how to use it properly; I would find it extremely

confusing
and frustrating to fill in a form that had form fields that couldn't be

used
as such. (Actually, I've had this experience; I got a form that

contained
form fields but was not protected, and there were elaborate instructions
telling users how to open the Form Field Options dialog and change the

check
box from unchecked to checked!)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MJones MJones is offline

Yes, I just figured that out. Doesn't seem very user friendly though.

I know my users are going to click in the box, especially because some of
the 300 stock forms that I'm customizing for them requires them to click in
the box to enter data in certain sections.

The users will stumble on the forms, new people will join the company, etc.,
so they can't all be trained. The forms need to be intuitive.

I'm trying to add a text box in the top corner, but unlike Excel, I can't
see how to set the text box not to print.

Hum. Anyway, thanks again for your help. You've helped me several times
before and I'm always very appreciative.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As long as you tab into the text form fields, the text will be selected.

think it would be much more sensible to protect the entire form and

expect
users to know how to use it properly; I would find it extremely

confusing
and frustrating to fill in a form that had form fields that couldn't be

used
as such. (Actually, I've had this experience; I got a form that

contained
form fields but was not protected, and there were elaborate instructions
telling users how to open the Form Field Options dialog and change the

check
box from unchecked to checked!)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news Remember, there are 30 letters and some of the field entries could be

"MJones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think I would be inclined to simply use macrobutton fields and training to
impress upon your users to leave the standard text alone. Does
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm help?

Better still create a userform Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm - that gathers your variable data
then inserts that data or information based on that data via the form. This
way you can probably get away with fewer templates and the users will not
have to mess with the document, only the userform..