Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Does copy/past increase document size?

I know that copy and pasting images into a PowerPoint presentation increases
the size of the resulting file. Is that also true in Word?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Any time you add any content to any file it will increase the size of that
file... there must be something more to your question.

BTW - pasting images into a Word doc is one of the best ways to degrade the
image quality & create other problems - learn to use InsertPictureFrom
File

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Jeff" wrote in message
I know that copy and pasting images into a PowerPoint presentation
increases the size of the resulting file. Is that also true in Word?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

I phrased it badly. I meant: In PowerPoint cut and paste creates much
larger files than if I use Insert / file, etc. I was wondering if it was
the same in Word.

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
I know that copy and pasting images into a PowerPoint presentation
increases the size of the resulting file. Is that also true in Word?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

That seems a little more meaty :0)

Copy/Cut & Paste of graphics certainly can cause unnecessary bloat because
the recipient program has to create its own version of the content being
pasted - what starts out as a simple GIF or JPEG gets plumped up as a hefty
EMF... Not to mention any number of other potential problems - especially if
the file gets moved cross-platform.

IMHO, Insert is not only preferable but also offers the option to Link
rather than Embed, which cuts down on file size even more.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Jeff" wrote in message
I know that copy and pasting images into a PowerPoint presentation
increases the size of the resulting file. Is that also true in Word?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Although I do usually link graphics when possible, especially when the
graphic is a logo in a letterhead (which would result in every single letter
being unnecessarily bulked up), there are two disadvantages to this
practice:

1. If you want to send the document to someone, you need to unlink (embed)
the graphic or the recipient won't be able to see it.

2. If you move the document, Word's nasty habit of converting absolute links
to relative (except of course when you want them relative, in which case it
insists on absolute) may well result in the dreaded red X, requiring you to
reinsert the graphic from its original location; that one bit me just the
other day.

.. .

"Jeff" wrote in message
I know that copy and pasting images into a PowerPoint presentation
increases the size of the resulting file. Is that also true in Word?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

It's really great having you experts willing to help the rest of us.

Thank you for all the information.

Jeff

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Although I do usually link graphics when possible, especially when the
graphic is a logo in a letterhead (which would result in every single
letter being unnecessarily bulked up), there are two disadvantages to
this practice:

1. If you want to send the document to someone, you need to unlink
(embed) the graphic or the recipient won't be able to see it.

2. If you move the document, Word's nasty habit of converting
absolute links to relative (except of course when you want them
relative, in which case it insists on absolute) may well result in
the dreaded red X, requiring you to reinsert the graphic from its
original location; that one bit me just the other day.

.. .