Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cali girl Cali girl is offline

Default the page numbering is skipping numbers what do i do?

I am trying to number my paper with chapters, but it keeps skipping to
chapters that I don't have. It also is skipping numbers all together. As in
it goes from 9 to number 20. I am completly lost and have tried everything.
Please help!!!

or

thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Page numbering is a section property, which means that a section break
is required to change it. When page numbers change unexpectedly in the
middle of a document, the reason might be that a continuous section
limited to part of a page (such a section can be created for example
when you select a piece of text and format it to use multiple columns)
restarts the page numbering. Also, continous sections may not have
visible headers and footers, so the change doesn't display "where it
occurs."

Do the following to verify that page numbering is correct for all of
the sections of your document: Go to the beginning of the document and
then choose Insert | Page Numbers. Click the Format button. Make sure
that page numbering is set to "Continue from previous section" and
click OK. Then click Close (this closes the Page Numbers dialog as
opposed to clicking OK, which may insert additional page numbers).

Repeat the above procedure for each additional section of the document
(Word indicates which section the cursor is in on the left of the
status bar).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP