Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John MilburySteen John MilburySteen is offline

Default page errors in booklets

Hi Word Gurus,
I'm using Word 2002 to print a booklet, 4 pages per booklet. This is a
400-page manuscript I will bind into a book.
Pages 1 and 4 appear on the first sheet, 2 and 4 on the back, 5 and 8 on
sheet 2, 6 and 7 and sheet 2 back, etc. I successfully did this, but Word
often got confused about the pages. For example, when I printed pages
289-296, I wanted

Sheet Front Back

1 292,289 290, 291
2 296,293 294, 295

Instead I got:

Sheet Front Back

1 292,289 76, 291
2 4,43 37, 295

Anybody else have this trouble? Is there a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You're the first person I know who's been brave enough to try to use Word's
book fold feature to print signatures. Now you see why commercial printers
don't use Word as imposition software. Seriously, the book fold feature is
seriously flawed.

"John MilburySteen" wrote in message
Hi Word Gurus,
I'm using Word 2002 to print a booklet, 4 pages per booklet. This is a
400-page manuscript I will bind into a book.
Pages 1 and 4 appear on the first sheet, 2 and 4 on the back, 5 and 8 on
sheet 2, 6 and 7 and sheet 2 back, etc. I successfully did this, but Word
often got confused about the pages. For example, when I printed pages
289-296, I wanted

Sheet Front Back

1 292,289 290, 291
2 296,293 294, 295

Instead I got:

Sheet Front Back

1 292,289 76, 291
2 4,43 37, 295

Anybody else have this trouble? Is there a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Long shot: on the Mac, which includes Print to PDF capability in the OS,
there are a number of programs which will take any PDF and shuffle and
shrink the pages to create a booklet. I think 1 of the 3 offers signatures.

I've not heard of anything such on Windows, but it might be worth the
original poster searching for a PDF utility that offers this feature. In
fact, a quick google for "pdf create booklet" suggests that FinePrint and
CutePDF might have the booklet feature.

Otherwise, would signatures work if the original poster subdivided the
document into many files and printed each separately?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how? RM Page Layout 6 April 5th 06 05:07 AM
page number errors in header and/or footer Sprite Page Layout 1 March 13th 06 11:43 PM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left mikeo Page Layout 6 February 26th 05 12:26 AM