Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Cumberbatch Nick Cumberbatch is offline

Default Problem with Footnotes

I am working on long report. I used a footnote on page 5. Now I am on page
16 and would like to refer to the same footnote. How do I do this. I tried
using the cross reference feature but there is no reference on the bottom of
page 16

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Cumberbatch Nick Cumberbatch is offline

This does not address the problem
Consider this:
For example I insert footnote #3 at the end of a sentence on page 5. I
continue typing my document. I get to page 16 and would like to make
another reference to footnote #3.

Now if I do Insert/Reference/Cross Ref: Footnote number
formatted...........I will end up with footnote number 3 being inserted in
the text on page 16

But at the bottom of page 16 there is no reference. So I would have a
footnote #3 in my text on page 16 but noting at the bottom of the page.

Is there a way to use a footnote to refer to footnote #3

I hope that I have explained this problem clearly this time

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to Footnote: Footnote number
(formatted).

so
all may benefit.

"Nick Cumberbatch" wrote in message
I am working on long report. I used a footnote on page 5. Now I am on

page
16 and would like to refer to the same footnote. How do I do this. I

tried
using the cross reference feature but there is no reference on the bottom

of
page 16

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Can't do it. Word just doesn't work that way. If you want the note text
repeated at the bottom of the page, create a new footnote and copy the text
from note 3 into it.

I submit, in addition, that having two notes, both numbered 3, would be
confusing for the reader.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you're saying you want to *repeat* note 3 on page 16, then no, there is
no way to do this. What you have to do in this case is insert a new footnote
(with a new number) and say "Op. cit., n. 3," where the 3 can be a
cross-reference (not formatted) to the original footnote.

If you want to repeat the entire text of footnote 3, then you'll need to
bookmark that text and insert a cross-reference to the bookmark text.

"Nick Cumberbatch" wrote in message
This does not address the problem
Consider this:
For example I insert footnote #3 at the end of a sentence on page 5. I
continue typing my document. I get to page 16 and would like to make
another reference to footnote #3.

Now if I do Insert/Reference/Cross Ref: Footnote number
formatted...........I will end up with footnote number 3 being inserted in
the text on page 16

But at the bottom of page 16 there is no reference. So I would have a
footnote #3 in my text on page 16 but noting at the bottom of the page.

Is there a way to use a footnote to refer to footnote #3

I hope that I have explained this problem clearly this time

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to Footnote: Footnote number
(formatted).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Nick Cumberbatch" wrote in message
I am working on long report. I used a footnote on page 5. Now I am on

page
16 and would like to refer to the same footnote. How do I do this. I

tried
using the cross reference feature but there is no reference on the

bottom
of
page 16

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Cumberbatch Nick Cumberbatch is offline

Thanks. Please explain or decode "Op. cit., n. 3,"
I am not really familiar with this

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, it's an old-fashioned abbreviation for the Latin "opus citatum" (work
cited), so it refers to the source given in note 3. I'm with Daiya, by the
way; I think repeating a note with the same number at the bottom of the page
would be confusing to readers. If you want an approach that allows you to
cite references multiple times without regard to order, you might consider a
numbered reference list instead.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Hall Tom Hall is offline

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:18:03 -0400, "Nick Cumberbatch"
wrote:

I am working on long report. I used a footnote on page 5. Now I am on page
16 and would like to refer to the same footnote. How do I do this. I tried
using the cross reference feature but there is no reference on the bottom of
page 16

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you want. Is it something along the
lines of (e.g.) on page 16, you would like to say "see footnote # on page
#"

and have that reference automatically adjust if footnote numbering and/or
page text changes the page number that footnote falls on?

If I am understanding you correctly, then I believe it IS possible to do
what you want, using cross-reference features.

I'm using Word 2003 here.

On (e.g.) page 16, you insert the text "see footnote # on page #",
replacing the #'s with cross-references - the first one to the footnote
number, and the second one to the page the footnote appears on.

I haven't tested this fully, but you MIGHT need to put a named field into
your footnote text and then reference that code instead of the page number,
which SHOULD cover the situation where another footnote has been inserted
before the footnote you wish to reference, otherwise the updated field
would reference the right footnote number, but the wrong page.

Assuming no changes to the document that would alter the positioning of
this footnote, you can use a footnote cross-reference for the first # and
the page number cross-reference for the 2nd #.

HTH,

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Cumberbatch Nick Cumberbatch is offline

Its amazing. I thought this was a simple matter. But it is interesting.
Now I have these options to choose from