Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

Default File Minimization and Word

I posted a similar message on the Windows 2000 board, but I have not
received any responses. The problem is this: of late, when I minimize a
file in Outlook Express, Excel, or Word, I can only retrieve/expand this
file by minimizing the program (e.g., O.E., Word, etc.), which brings me to
the desktop where I then can expand the file from the desktop toolbar at the
bottom of the screen.

Of course, in Word one can go to the Windows tab where a drop-down menu will
tell you what Word files are open. For some reason, I also think that these
non-active files also appeared at the bottom of the screen, but don't hold
me to this.

This is not exclusively a Word problem, but I am hoping that there is
someone out there who can describe this problem for me, and provide a
remedy.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It sounds as if you have the Taskbar set to auto hide and it's not popping
up when you mouse over the bottom of the screen. I experience this behavior
routinely when I use the Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It is very
infuriating. Usually the desired behavior will return after I've closed
MOPM, but if it doesn't you can turn auto hide off and then back on.

"G.G. Biggar, Jr." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

SSB --

I tried the Auto Hide route (i.e., on-off), but it does not seem to reverse
the situation. 'Tis very frustrating. It's as if all the minimizations
are routed directly to the toolbar on the desktop, bypassing the toolbar at
the bottom of the program screen.

I'll keep searching!

Gordon Biggar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It sounds as if you have the Taskbar set to auto hide and it's not popping
up when you mouse over the bottom of the screen. I experience this

behavior
routinely when I use the Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It is very
infuriating. Usually the desired behavior will return after I've closed
MOPM, but if it doesn't you can turn auto hide off and then back on.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't understand what you mean by "the toolbar at the bottom of the
program screen." Word documents appear as separate buttons on the Windows
Taskbar, and they are listed on the Window menu in Word, but I'm not aware
of anywhere else that they can be selected.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

It's my loose terminology.... If I have three Word programs running
simultaneously, I can use the Windows tab in Word to bring up one of the
other two minimized programs. Or, I have to minimize Word (to take me back
to the desktop) in order to view the two "buttons" on the taskbar (Startup?
Windows?) at the bottom of the screen. Does this make more sense?

Although I don't normally run more than two Word programs at one time, it
seems that the "button" for the minimized program could always be accessed
from within Word itself. Perhaps not?

GGB

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You need to change the settings for the Windows Taskbar, which appears to be
what you are describing: If you check the box for "Always on top," then you
will be able to see it no matter how many windows you have maximized. And if
you check the box for "Auto hide," it will get out of your way except when
you need it and appear only when you mouse over the bottom of the screen. To
change the settings, right-click on an empty area of the Taskbar and choose
Properties from the shortcut menu.

Also, note that you are not running more than one Word "program." It's just
that in Word 2000 and above, each Word document (by default) is displayed in
a separate window (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Not. When you minimise a document, it minimises to the Task Bar. If you have
several documents open and minimise them to the Taskbar, you can only
Restore/Maximise them from the Taskbar unlike other applications that
minimise open documents into the bottom of their own Window (such as
Photoshop). If you still have a document open, you can use the Windows menu
in Word to select one of the minimized documents too.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
G.G. Biggar, Jr. G.G. Biggar, Jr. is offline

Sometimes, I know that I know less as I become older...

For example, by applying "Show on Top" (via Windows task bar/Properties),
all of my minimized files now appear within Word, O.E., etc. Of course,
they all appear at the bottom of the screen (where they were before), but
who am I to question where Microsoft puts them?

Again, Suzanne, my verbalization was incorrect. I should have said that "if
I have three Word files running simultaneously..." Please accept my
apologies for confusing the issue -- again.

You may or may not recall that about two years ago you guided me through the
publishing feat of placing pictures within frames in a book that I was
writing at the time on the restoration of Model "A" Ford carburetors. It
was published two summers ago (75 pages of text with 95 photographs). The
publisher didn't understand how I could have composed it in Word. I have
tried to learn QuarkExpress since, but I still have an affinity for Word,
particularly when there is such an outstanding news group to fall back on!

Thanks all for your assistance.

Regards,

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas