Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Default Word and Norton

Hi. It's often been said in this ng that the Norton add-in is responsible
for much grief in Word, so one should disable it by right clicking on the
systray icon, clicking on the Option button, then Misc, then clear the
Enable Office plug-in check box.

Well, I installed Word 2003 for an editing client yesterday and there was no
option button, only display options...

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

aalaan wrote:
Hi. It's often been said in this ng that the Norton add-in is
responsible for much grief in Word, so one should disable it by right
clicking on the systray icon, clicking on the Option button, then
Misc, then clear the Enable Office plug-in check box.

Well, I installed Word 2003 for an editing client yesterday and there
was no option button, only display options...

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Will that just disable the Office plug-in and leave the rest of the Norton
process working correctly?

And could you be very kind and remind me briefly what problems are caused to
Word if I don't do this.

aalaan wrote:
Hi. It's often been said in this ng that the Norton add-in is
responsible for much grief in Word, so one should disable it by right
clicking on the systray icon, clicking on the Option button, then
Misc, then clear the Enable Office plug-in check box.

Well, I installed Word 2003 for an editing client yesterday and there
was no option button, only display options...

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes - just the plug-in, which does nothing useful.
Norton puts its messy footprints all over the application and causes a
variety of problems to slow things down. A particularly irritating one is
that it causes windows to be opened behind the active window locking Word
until you discover the cause of the lock-up. Get rid of it!

aalaan wrote:
Hi. It's often been said in this ng that the Norton add-in is
responsible for much grief in Word, so one should disable it by
right clicking on the systray icon, clicking on the Option button,
then Misc, then clear the Enable Office plug-in check box.

Well, I installed Word 2003 for an editing client yesterday and
there was no option button, only display options...

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Hi again Graham

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to
unregister the calling DLL by running the following command line
from Windows Start Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
***or***
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

'OR' Which one?

Will it do any harm to try both, or what is the method to discover which? I
don't want to mess up my client's machine!