gandalf

Default Variable fields, tables and carriage return

I have a table with one row and two columns.
The second column contains a variable field, that is a field linked to
the value of a variable.
The variable may contain carriage returns, which means that the
content of the field should be displayed on multiple lines.

On Word97 I was using vbCr and the field was displaying the multiple
lines correctly; but on XP the vbCr is converted to an invalid ascii
symbol (a little square).
I've also tried, on XP, using vbLf, vbCRLf, Chr$(11), Chr$(13), but
nothing works!!!!!!!
The only workaround i found is to use vbCr and add an axtra line after
the filed: this way all the little square are converted to proper
carriage returns and the field is displayed corretly on multiple
lines.

any hint?

Thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Gandalf,

I can confirm the problem you describe. It was reported to Microsoft
quite a while ago. And the only workaround I know of is the one you've
already found.

I have a table with one row and two columns.
The second column contains a variable field, that is a field linked to
the value of a variable.
The variable may contain carriage returns, which means that the
content of the field should be displayed on multiple lines.

On Word97 I was using vbCr and the field was displaying the multiple
lines correctly; but on XP the vbCr is converted to an invalid ascii
symbol (a little square).
I've also tried, on XP, using vbLf, vbCRLf, Chr$(11), Chr$(13), but
nothing works!!!!!!!
The only workaround i found is to use vbCr and add an axtra line after
the filed: this way all the little square are converted to proper
carriage returns and the field is displayed corretly on multiple
lines.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org