Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Default How to convert manual page breaks to section breaks

I work with multi-chapter documents. I need a way to search/replace manual
page breaks with section breaks, but do not find the option to put in a
section break (I'd prefer a section break of the type starting next page). Is
there a work around?

Similarly, in a long multi-chapter document I'd like to be able to select
all headers/footers in a single operation and link them to the previous, so
header/footer in the first chapter flows through the entire manuscript. I
insert a field code for section number, so use this to get the
chapter(section number) in the footer. I'm working with pre-existing
documents.

Then this brings up another similar question: As there are prepages, I'd
like the chapter number to be shown in the footer to be the section number
minus one. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

I had WordPerfect set up to do all this and more, but now need to get Word
2003 to emulate it. Thanks very much.
--
Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Inline.

"Alex" wrote in message
I work with multi-chapter documents. I need a way to search/replace manual
page breaks with section breaks, but do not find the option to put in a
section break (I'd prefer a section break of the type starting next page).

Is
there a work around?

One way you may be able to replace page breaks with the desired type of
section break: Insert a break of the desired type, select it, and Copy. In
the "Replace with" box of the Replace dialog, type ^c, which inserts the
Clipboard contents.

Similarly, in a long multi-chapter document I'd like to be able to select
all headers/footers in a single operation and link them to the previous,

so
header/footer in the first chapter flows through the entire manuscript. I
insert a field code for section number, so use this to get the
chapter(section number) in the footer. I'm working with pre-existing
documents.

You may be able to link the headers/footers using VBA; by default they *are*
linked when you first create them.

Then this brings up another similar question: As there are prepages, I'd
like the chapter number to be shown in the footer to be the section number
minus one. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

The field { = { SECTION } - 1 } will give you the desired results.

I had WordPerfect set up to do all this and more, but now need to get Word
2003 to emulate it. Thanks very much.
--
Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Thank you Suzanne, the answers to my questions one and three are perfect.
I'll very soon put them to use. As to point 2, linking running headers, I
deal always with documents created by others (authors), some of whom choose
to override the default linking as they go. As I have no experience in VBA,
what to you recommend as a first step that will give the most return for time
invested? Thanks very much for your help.
--
Alex

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Inline.

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I have no VBA expertise, so I suggest you post in one of the
microsoft.public.word.vba hierarchy of NGs.

"Alex" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne, the answers to my questions one and three are perfect.
I'll very soon put them to use. As to point 2, linking running headers, I
deal always with documents created by others (authors), some of whom

choose
to override the default linking as they go. As I have no experience in

VBA,
what to you recommend as a first step that will give the most return for

time
invested? Thanks very much for your help.
--
Alex

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Inline.