Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RAGbox RAGbox is offline

Default office 2003 - How do I embed an existing template.dot?

1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Know the name and location of where you have put your custom template.
Open your document.
Go to Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Templates tab
Attach button, then navigate to your template, selecet, and hit Open key
Check the box for automatically update template styles
OK button
And voila! And this will embed your template for other users of that file.

Then use Format, Styles and Formatting to get your Styles and Formatting
pane to show up on the right side of your screen. In lower window pick either
Show: Available formatting or Formatting in Use.

Enjoy!

Other tips:
Name your templates by use and/or date of revision
Note where that template folder is and keep/put all your templates there.

--
Alex

"RAGbox" wrote:

1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can't "embed" a template in an existing document. You can attach it, but
there is a limit to what this will accomplish. See the following articles
for more information:

What is the relationship between a Microsoft Word document and its template?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I copy
content and settings from a template to a document?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

"RAGbox" wrote in message
1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every

time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right

corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Suzanne,
If Dick wants all documents to start with the qualities of his custom
template, can't he rename his present normal.dot as normal.bak, then make a
copy of his custom template and name that copy as normal.dot. Then if it is
in his default template folder, won't it be used each time he starts a new
document? I think that will fulfill most of his needs. It works for me.
--
Alex

"RAGbox" wrote in message
1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every

time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right

corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Only Word can make a Normal.dot. Expect problems if you try to play God.
See, for example, €śWD2002: Styles and AutoText Are Not Copied to New
Template Based on Normal.dot€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291441

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can't "embed" a template in an existing document. You can attach it,

but
there is a limit to what this will accomplish. See the following

articles
for more information:

What is the relationship between a Microsoft Word document and its

template?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I

copy
content and settings from a template to a document?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RAGbox" wrote in message
1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each

time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every

time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do

not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right

corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RAGbox RAGbox is offline

Thank You Both for advice.
1. I followed Alex's Tools, Templates and Add-ins instructions carefully and
tried several times - No Template appeared; even after saving and
closing/reopening - still no template.
2. Then I read through all of Suzanne's text and each link - very
informative and helps understand the Template process. But only confirms
apparently - I cannot add a template to an existing doc.

SUMMARY: I am still unable to create even a new doc with my "default"
template as I routinely did before Word 2003. All advice was useful but I
still have same problem.
Dick
---------------------

"RAGbox" wrote in message
1. I have tried following Word 2003 Help multiple times w/o success.

2. I wish to use an existing custom template for all Word docs each time I
createw a new document or when revising and existing one.

3. I religiously followed all Word Help to do this, but it fails every

time
I try it on a new or revised document.

4. fwiw - I created this template in an older version of Word but do not
think that should have any effect?

What is the trick to embedding date and file path/name in lower right

corner
of all my Word docs?

Many thx, Dick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Alex Alex is offline

Well, for the consolation prize: to add the date and filename/path to the
bottom of ducuments, as you asked:
View, Header and Footer, switch from Header to Footer
Position cursor as you like
Insert, Date and Time, pick your choice of formats.
Poistion cursor as you like
Insert, Field, FileName, check box if want you path included.

* * *
I'm just a fellow user, not a professional with MS certificates. If this
forum is for Microsoft employees only to provide answers, please let me know
and I'll go elsewhere. I'm just in search of simple, quick, understandable
answers, and thought this was a place where everyday users traded tips.
--
Alex