Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dee Dee is offline

Default Named Ranges Don't Show Hlp!

Hi,

I am doing a mail merge, using an Excel file as my source via DDE, as I need
to retain my formatting.

My problem is that instead of displaying the options of entire spreadsheet
or a list of my named ranges, it only displays the choices of: Entire
Spreadsheet, KeyFields or MappedFields.

Why isn't is displaying my named ranges? It works fine in a small test
file, but not my larger file. Are there some limitations I am unaware of?

Thanks!

--
Thanks!

Dee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

One problem is that DDE as used in Word Mailmerge can only "see" stuff in
the first worksheet in your workbook. In other words, it has never been
updated to cope with multisheet workbooks.

If you need to be abel to access any sheet other than the first sheet, you
have to use one of the other methods and work around the problems that that
can introduce (for further info. on that you can always try
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm although I would guess you are quite
familiar with that stuff).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"dee" wrote in message
Hi,

I am doing a mail merge, using an Excel file as my source via DDE, as I
need
to retain my formatting.

My problem is that instead of displaying the options of entire spreadsheet
or a list of my named ranges, it only displays the choices of: Entire
Spreadsheet, KeyFields or MappedFields.

Why isn't is displaying my named ranges? It works fine in a small test
file, but not my larger file. Are there some limitations I am unaware of?

Thanks!

--
Thanks!

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dee Dee is offline

Hi Peter. Thanks for your response. The data is actually on the first
worksheet (although I am using multiple sheets).

It just seems strange that it won't "see" the named ranges.

I'm stumped.

--
Thanks!

Dee

"dee" wrote in message
Hi,

I am doing a mail merge, using an Excel file as my source via DDE, as I
need
to retain my formatting.

My problem is that instead of displaying the options of entire spreadsheet
or a list of my named ranges, it only displays the choices of: Entire
Spreadsheet, KeyFields or MappedFields.

Why isn't is displaying my named ranges? It works fine in a small test
file, but not my larger file. Are there some limitations I am unaware of?

Thanks!

--
Thanks!

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have to say that in the simple example I have here, the named ranges on
the first sheet do show up in the list. But perhaps there is another factor
at work.

If you overtype "Entire spreadsheet" with the name of your range, do you get
the correct result?

Incidentally, you should also be able to get the data from a range in the
first sheet by specifying the range in RnCn format in that dialog box, e.g.

R1C3:R10C5

I know that's not what you need but it may help identify what is actually
going on. If you want, despam my email address (remove KillmapS), send me
your workbook, and I'll see if I can spot the problem (but I'll probably be
out of the picture Tuesday-Thursday)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk