Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Margie Margie is offline

Default IF/ELSE Statement

Hi:
I am working with a Word document that contains what seems like millions of
form fields and bookmarks. I need to return a value from one field to
another, as follows:

Field with bookmark titled Text 250 has an either or option. Either it is
"Not Applicable" or it is "1234567". The coder would manually type whichever
option applies in this field.

Field with bookmark titled Text 299 is blank. What I want to do is have
whatever appears in Text250 copied to field Text 299.

If I was using excel, I'd use something like @if(C2="Not Applicable","Not
Applicable",C2). Since I am a word neophyte, I'm having trouble creating a
formula that would mimic excel. This is what I've done:

{IF{mergefiled text 250}="Not applicable""Not Applicable"text 250}. (Text
250 in this example is 1234567.) What's being returned, however, is text250.
What I need is for the "else" option to be 1234567. I can't for the life of
me figure out how to return the number. I'm sure this is very simple, but I'm
just not getting it. I've gone through the various discussion threads to see
if there's been a problem posted that is similar to mine, but so far, haven't
been able to find it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Replace the field at Text 299 with a cross reference to the text of the
bookmark assigned to field Text 250 and in the properties dialog for that
field check the "Calculate on exit" box so that the cross reference will be
updated.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.