Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Default How to do an if statement

Using Word 2003. Data in Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Performing mailmerge in
Word. How do I make an if statement that will get the value from any one of
the fields below regardless of whether the other ones are empty or not? I
have a directory which includes who the children in the family are--all
listed on one line--separated by commas--below the name and address
information. I have looked at the KB articles but their examples have only
two fields, and I am not experienced enough to apply their examples to a more
complex senario.

These are the fields in Excel.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The easiest thing for you to do would be to add another column to your Excel
spreadsheet in which you concatenate the contents of the Child_One,
Child_Two, Child_Three and Child_Four fields for each record and then just
use that one field in your mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Serendipity" wrote in message
Using Word 2003. Data in Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Performing mailmerge in
Word. How do I make an if statement that will get the value from any one
of
the fields below regardless of whether the other ones are empty or not? I
have a directory which includes who the children in the family are--all
listed on one line--separated by commas--below the name and address
information. I have looked at the KB articles but their examples have only
two fields, and I am not experienced enough to apply their examples to a
more
complex senario.

These are the fields in Excel.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Thought this worked and then I noticed that if a Child field is blank, I get
commas. How can I separate the names with commas in my statement but not get
them in the result if that field is blank. This is the statement I used.

=CONCATENATE(M2,", ",N2,", ",O2,", ",P2)

Thanks!