Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jpod Jpod is offline

Default Mail Merge with Access Report (grouping levels equivalent)

Hi,

I have two tables in Access 2003 with a one-to-many relationship, in
an access report the grouping works, how do I make this work in a Word
2003 mail merge? The following are not my tables but an example of
what I am trying to achieve, where the relationship is 1 to many from
Orders to OrderItems:

Table 1 - Orders
OrderID
Date
SalesPerson

Table 2 - OrderItems
ItemID
Description
QTY
Value
*OrderID

On the 1 Page word document I want to print display as follows

This is your Order ID on Date.
Your Salesperson was Salesperson.

Here is a list of your Items:
ItemIDDescriptionQTYValue

It will list as many items as there are for the particular OrderID.Any
help gratefully received. I have tried various methods but can't seem
to get any to work.

Many Thanks, Chris.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would do it all in Access.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jpod" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jpod Jpod is offline

On Sep 26, 8:44 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
I would do it all in Access.

--
Hope this helps.

I would too! Problem is, we need to send the form off to a client who
make electronic amendments in Word. The form is in a format they
designed with lots of borders and shading, quite complicated. So I
need to keep the formatting, and be able to edit in word, the only to
this is using mail merge I believe. The form isn't actually orders as
per my example above, it's project details and costs, but the idea is
the same.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In that case, I would be creating a "roll-your-own" equivalent to mailmerge
using VBA. It is definitely not something that Word can do out of the box.

For simple things, like your example, you can probably get by with the
procedures in the following links, but I doubt that will be suitable for
your task

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jpod" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 26, 8:44 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
I would do it all in Access.

--
Hope this helps.

I would too! Problem is, we need to send the form off to a client who
make electronic amendments in Word. The form is in a format they
designed with lots of borders and shading, quite complicated. So I
need to keep the formatting, and be able to edit in word, the only to
this is using mail merge I believe. The form isn't actually orders as
per my example above, it's project details and costs, but the idea is
the same.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jpod Jpod is offline

Thanks Doug,

That was the impression I was getting, Word not being able to do
something like this out of the box.

VBA code is not something I know. I had tried the first link (MS KB)
but go nowhere. Just spent some time on the 2nd link and go nowhere
there either, it doesn't quite work for what I need.

Going to have to work on my Access system a little more I think!

Thanks anyway. Chris.