Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Suzanne C Suzanne C is offline

Default Telling Word to pick a mailmerge field from three options

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have three fields for a date:
DATEFIELD1, DATEFIELD2, and DATEFIELD3. Every line of data pulling from my
database has the same date in these fields. However, each instance is
differnt as to if the date will be populated in DATEFIELD1, DATEFIELD2, and
DATEFIELD3, or it could be in all three fields. I only need the date to be
displayed once and thought that I could use an IF field to do so, however,
I'm having problems. Does anyone know of a way to tell Word to display
DATEFIELD1 unless blank, then display DATEFIELD2 unless blank, then display
DATEFIELD3
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD1 }" ""
"{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD1 }"
"{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD2 }" ""
"{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD2 }"
"{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD3 }" ""
"{ MERGEFIELD DATEFIELD3 }"
"whatever you want if all three are blank" }" }" }

where all the {} are the special field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9. (YOu don't have to use the multiline layout I have used - it can
all go on one line if you want).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk