Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Randi Randi is offline

Default Is there a limit on number of fields to enter into data form/sourc

I am working in Word 2003 and want to combine three data sources into one so
as to avoid duplication of fields. I am running out of room though where I
can't add any more fields to my data form/source. is there a limit to how
many you can have?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't know what the "absolute" limit is, but in most cases the number of
fields (or columns) is determined either by the data source itself, or by
the mechanism Word uses to get data from that source.
For example,
a. Word tables have a limit of 63/64 columns. Excel 2003 tables, Access
tables and I think SQL Server tables have a limit of 255/256 (or perhaps
127/128 in some cases) columns, and I would guess that that limit also
applies to the number of columns you can return in a SQL query in those
products.
b. Excel 2007 worksheets allow many more columns, but none of the current
mechanisms even in Word 2007 let you see more than 255/256 of them.
c. delimited text files have no intrinsic limit but
- by default, Word tries to open text files using OLE DB. If the text
file has more than 255 columns, Word may fail, then try to open the file
using its internal text converter. In that case the rules are suddenly
different and you may
1. have to respond to a dialog box that requests field and record
delimiters
2. deal with nasty issues where Word misrecognises the character set
you are using
3. find there is a practical limit on record length or record count
4. have to deal with problems where the field, record or text
delimiter appears in the data

In other words, if you have to go beyond 255 columns, you probably have to
use a delimited text file, but
a. you may need to be careful how you construct it
b. even then, it may not work as you hope.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk