Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Richard Vanterve Richard  Vanterve is offline

Default Mail merge page counter

I'm trying to print a page count number on each page of a mail merge and I
don't know how to do it.
I've tried to add it to the header/footer but it only puts the number 1 on
every page that prints out.
Could anybody shed some light on how to do this or if it is even possible.

Thanks

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are using a Letter type mail merge, the letter that is created for
each record in the data source is in a separate Section of the document
produced by executing the mail merge to a new document and, by default, the
page numbers are formatted to restart (at 1) for each Section.

As a result, if your letters are each of only one page in length, each of
them will be numbered as Page 1.

There are two ways to get what you want:

Probably the best is to change the mail merge main document type to a
Catalog (or in Word XP and later it is called "Directory") type mail merge
main document.

Alternatively, use Ctrl+A to select the whole document that you have already
created by executing the merge and in the Format Page Number dialog, select
the Radio Button for "Continue from Previous"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Richard Vanterve" wrote in message
I'm trying to print a page count number on each page of a mail merge and I
don't know how to do it.
I've tried to add it to the header/footer but it only puts the number 1 on
every page that prints out.
Could anybody shed some light on how to do this or if it is even possible.

Thanks

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Richard,

Assuming there's only one page per record, you could use a MERGESEQ field to generate the page numbers. If there's more than one
page per record, you'd need to apply some maths to the MERGESEQ field results.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Richard Vanterve" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to print a page count number on each page of a mail merge and I don't know how to do it.
I've tried to add it to the header/footer but it only puts the number 1 on every page that prints out.
Could anybody shed some light on how to do this or if it is even possible.

Thanks

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

or even a { SECTION } field ! Same problem with multi-page letters.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk