Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dande dande is offline

Default Page Set Up

Help again, please, for this ageing non-techno!

I am trying to produce an A4 poster but however I change the margins in Page
Set Up, I am still left with a wide 3cm margin at the bottom of the page.
The copy looks fine on screen and in Print Preview but when I print, there's
the margin which makes the whole thing look unbalnced. The copy goes almost
to the top of the page, it's the bottom where there's a problem.

I am printing on HP Photosmart 4200 Series, by the way.

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The ability of Word to print to the edge of the page is determined by the
current printer driver. If you set the margins to zero you will get an error
message asking you if you wish to fix the margins. What the driver fixes
them to is the limit available. Do however check that the printer and page
setup are using the same paper size and that there is no scaling set in the
print dialog.

dande wrote:
Help again, please, for this ageing non-techno!

I am trying to produce an A4 poster but however I change the margins
in Page Set Up, I am still left with a wide 3cm margin at the bottom
of the page. The copy looks fine on screen and in Print Preview but
when I print, there's the margin which makes the whole thing look
unbalnced. The copy goes almost to the top of the page, it's the
bottom where there's a problem.

I am printing on HP Photosmart 4200 Series, by the way.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dande dande is offline

Thanks Graham. I know I'm almost a lost cause but could you please talk me
through checking the printer and page set up are using the same paper size
and how to check there is no scaling in the print dialog.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Assuming Word 2003 or earlier
File Page Setup Paper
File Print Properties then the dialog differs according to the printer
driver, but there will probably be an 'advanced' button where you can check
the paper size.
File Print Zoom Scale to Paper Size

For Word 2007
Page Layout Size
The Print dialog is accessed from the Pizza (Office) button top left of the
Word window then see above.