Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Creating TOC from Multiple Documents

I have been assigned to revise a very large (900+ pages) document. It
consists of front matter, seventeen chapters, and three appendixes. Each of
these sections is a separate document. Page numbering restarts with each
chapter and includes the chapter number (e.g., 3-1).

I need to create a table of contents in the front matter, listing all
first-, second-, and third-level headings, plus separate tables for figures
and tables.

I've been told many times that I should stay away from using a master
document. Is there a safe and easy way to create a table of contents or table
of figures from multiple documents?

I know how to create a TOC in a single document. I'm using Office 2003 and
Windows XP Professional (SP2).

Thanks,

Fred
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

See these two articles...

Compiling Sub Docs
http://www.mousetrax.com/mastdoc.html

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
Tech Editor for Word & Office 2007 Bibles
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:13:04 -0800, Idaho Word Man
wrote:

I have been assigned to revise a very large (900+ pages) document. It
consists of front matter, seventeen chapters, and three appendixes. Each of
these sections is a separate document. Page numbering restarts with each
chapter and includes the chapter number (e.g., 3-1).

I need to create a table of contents in the front matter, listing all
first-, second-, and third-level headings, plus separate tables for figures
and tables.

I've been told many times that I should stay away from using a master
document. Is there a safe and easy way to create a table of contents or table
of figures from multiple documents?

I know how to create a TOC in a single document. I'm using Office 2003 and
Windows XP Professional (SP2).

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cowpants cowpants is offline

OMG this article is fabulous! I've seen it cited in several places, and
you're just the top of the search results. THANK YOU for solving my problem.
Now I (hopefully) won't need to combine my team's chapters into a ginormous
doc. Thank you!!! =)

wrote:

I have been assigned to revise a very large (900+ pages) document. It
consists of front matter, seventeen chapters, and three appendixes. Each of
these sections is a separate document. Page numbering restarts with each
chapter and includes the chapter number (e.g., 3-1).

I need to create a table of contents in the front matter, listing all
first-, second-, and third-level headings, plus separate tables for figures
and tables.

I've been told many times that I should stay away from using a master
document. Is there a safe and easy way to create a table of contents or table
of figures from multiple documents?

I know how to create a TOC in a single document. I'm using Office 2003 and
Windows XP Professional (SP2).

Thanks,

Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cowpants cowpants is offline

Sorry, should be more specific -- I used the article on "Creating a Table of
Contents Spanning Multiple Documents". Thanks! =)