Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rp2chil rp2chil is offline

Default Track Changes - can one user be multiple colors?

Hi, I've searched this forum, and cannot find anything.

I'm using Word 2003. I'm updating a huge file with multiple users. Since I
am the main owner of the document, I am getting updated files from multiple
users (and each user is doing their own updates and sending to me).

I then take each person's documents and updating my own master document.
(probably not the best way), however, I would like to have different colors
when I update for each users' edits.

Is this possible to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 07:37:02 -0800, rp2chil
wrote:

Hi, I've searched this forum, and cannot find anything.

I'm using Word 2003. I'm updating a huge file with multiple users. Since I
am the main owner of the document, I am getting updated files from multiple
users (and each user is doing their own updates and sending to me).

I then take each person's documents and updating my own master document.
(probably not the best way), however, I would like to have different colors
when I update for each users' edits.

Is this possible to do?

In Tools Options Track Changes, set the insertions and deletions colors to
"By Author".

Before starting to add each person's changed, go to Tools Options User
Information and change the Name entry. You could put in that person's name or
any other designation. Track Changes will treat all changes you make with that
setting as belonging to another author. Change the entry again, and you'll get
another color.

Also, you're correct that there's a better way (maybe). Try Tools Compare and
Merge Documents. Be careful, though -- we've seen complaints that it stops
comparing part way through a large document, or that it mistreats tables.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Bizarre observation: The author-label on a Comments balloon is taken
from the "initials" field under User, and a Comments balloon remains
the color of the User who was in effect when it was created, even if
the initials were never changed.

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org