Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marc Grant Marc Grant is offline

Default Replacing

Is there anyway of replacing certain parts of words using a wildcard for
example how do I change all words in a list beginning with m and ending in t
to begin with n and end with s leaving all other letters the same?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the EditReplace dialog, click on the More button and check the "Use
wildcards" box and then in the Find what control, enter

(m)(*)(t)

and in the Replace with Control, enter

n\2s

Then click on Replace all.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Marc Grant" Marc wrote in message
Is there anyway of replacing certain parts of words using a wildcard for
example how do I change all words in a list beginning with m and ending in
to begin with n and end with s leaving all other letters the same?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marc Grant[_2_] Marc Grant[_2_] is offline

Doug

It works brilliantly - thanks for that. Can this be used to replace tabs in
the same way i.e. ^tMichael^t to change to Michael where Michael would be the
name that changes

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

In the EditReplace dialog, click on the More button and check the "Use
wildcards" box and then in the Find what control, enter

(m)(*)(t)

and in the Replace with Control, enter

n\2s

Then click on Replace all.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Marc Grant" Marc wrote in message
Is there anyway of replacing certain parts of words using a wildcard for
example how do I change all words in a list beginning with m and ending in
to begin with n and end with s leaving all other letters the same?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't really need the brackets around m and t
m(*)t replace with n\1s would work just as well.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
In the EditReplace dialog, click on the More button and check the
"Use wildcards" box and then in the Find what control, enter

(m)(*)(t)

and in the Replace with Control, enter

n\2s

Then click on Replace all.

"Marc Grant" Marc wrote in message
Is there anyway of replacing certain parts of words using a wildcard
for example how do I change all words in a list beginning with m and
ending in t
to begin with n and end with s leaving all other letters the same?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't need a wildcard search when there are no variables
Search for ^tMichael^t replace with ^tJohn^t
See also http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm