Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg[_4_] Greg[_4_] is offline

Default Scroll on Window Restore?

I'm running Word 2007 on Vista Business.

Whenever I restore Word from the task bar, it scrolls so the cursor is
at the top line of the window. That happens whether I'm restoring to a
window or to the full screen.

This scarcely ranks up there with ... well, bad stuff. But it's annoying.

Is there a setting of some option somewhere saying "Don't scroll on
restore"?
--
Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That is strange and does not happen for me. Even if I have only been reading
a document and not actually done any editing or clicked the insertion point,
it still minimizes and maximizes to the same point. If I have been editing,
when I maximize, the cursor is still where it left off.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. Are you using a standard desktop
with a standard mouse?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Greg" wrote in message
I'm running Word 2007 on Vista Business.

Whenever I restore Word from the task bar, it scrolls so the cursor is at
the top line of the window. That happens whether I'm restoring to a window
or to the full screen.

This scarcely ranks up there with ... well, bad stuff. But it's annoying.

Is there a setting of some option somewhere saying "Don't scroll on
restore"?
--
Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg[_4_] Greg[_4_] is offline

Terry Farrell wrote:

Thanks for the response!

That is strange

I agree.
and does not happen for me. Even if I have only been
reading a document and not actually done any editing or clicked the
insertion point, it still minimizes and maximizes to the same point. If
I have been editing, when I maximize, the cursor is still where it left
off.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. Are you using a standard
desktop with a standard mouse?

No, this is on a laptop (Lenovo N100), with a touchpad. It happens very
consistently, whether I minimize the window by mousing the "minimize"
icon or using Alt-space-n. It also happens whether I restore by mousing
into the taskbar, or use Alt-Tab to pick Word.

For the heck of it, I also tried it both auto-hiding the taskbar, and
not. Also whether I've been editing at the cursor point, or not. Still
the same, consistently.

As you said -- strange.

Another oddity, which may or may not be related: Shift-F5 when I re-open
a file never does anything. The cursor just stays at the start of the
document. I can set and go to bookmarks manually. This is similarly
annoying, but also scarcely lethal. I've seen others post things I could
do in normal.dot to fix this, but I've never done such surgery and am
reluctant to start.

--
Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm not sure what this can be unless it is a ThinkPad oddity!

Shift+F5 is basically gone in Word 2007(when reopening a document). We've
had long discussions about it with the developers and frankly the reason for
its removal seems very weak. Let's hope it will be back restored some time
soon. We will certainly continue pressing for it.

Terry

"Greg" wrote in message

As you said -- strange.

Another oddity, which may or may not be related: Shift-F5 when I re-open a
file never does anything. The cursor just stays at the start of the
document. I can set and go to bookmarks manually. This is similarly
annoying, but also scarcely lethal. I've seen others post things I could
do in normal.dot to fix this, but I've never done such surgery and am
reluctant to start.

--
Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg[_4_] Greg[_4_] is offline

Well, nit-picky technically I don't have a Thinkpad, but OK. Hard to see
how the hardware would cause this, though. Just a mystery, and I'm sure
not the only one.

Sad news about Shift-F5. Restarting where I last left off was something
I very much liked about OpenOffice Write. Maybe it will come back to
Word. Keep pressing!

And many thanks for the information.

"Greg" wrote in message

As you said -- strange.

Another oddity, which may or may not be related: Shift-F5 when I
re-open a file never does anything. The cursor just stays at the start
of the document. I can set and go to bookmarks manually. This is
similarly annoying, but also scarcely lethal. I've seen others post
things I could do in normal.dot to fix this, but I've never done such
surgery and am reluctant to start.

--
Greg

--
Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Just a quick further test. Start Word in Safe Mode and open a document. Then
try min/max and see if the same problem occurs. From Start, Run, type in

winword /a

and press enter. Test now.

Terry

PS Can't get it out of my mind that Lenovo/IBM and ThinkPad have separated -
especially as my wife works for IBM and they still issue staff laptops and
call them ThinkPads!

"Greg" wrote in message

As you said -- strange.

Another oddity, which may or may not be related: Shift-F5 when I re-open
a file never does anything. The cursor just stays at the start of the
document. I can set and go to bookmarks manually. This is similarly
annoying, but also scarcely lethal. I've seen others post things I could
do in normal.dot to fix this, but I've never done such surgery and am
reluctant to start.

--
Greg

--
Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg[_4_] Greg[_4_] is offline

Terry Farrell wrote:
Just a quick further test. Start Word in Safe Mode and open a document.
Then try min/max and see if the same problem occurs. From Start, Run,
type in

winword /a

and press enter. Test now.

Well, how about that -- starting that way, it doesn't scroll on
minimize/restore. What does that mean?

One thing I can say that is means: It's fixed.

After testing in safe mode, for the heck of it I started Word normally,
and tested again. Lo and behold, it no longer scrolls on minimize/restore.

Shakes head in amazement.

Whatever... Thanks!

(I never heard of a safe mode for Word before. Windows, yes. Not Word.
Thanks for the detailed startup instruction.)

Terry

PS Can't get it out of my mind that Lenovo/IBM and ThinkPad have
separated - especially as my wife works for IBM and they still issue
staff laptops and call them ThinkPads!

Some of the laptops Lenovo sells are Thinkpads, like the T series, X
series, and so on. So your wife and others aren't wrong. Use of the
"Thinkpad" name was one of the things Lenovo bought. I was there, and
there were grumblings about IBM selling off the one really good PC IBM
still made.

However, Lenovo also makes non-Thinkpad laptops, and the one I have --
3000 series -- happens to be one of the those. Simple visual
distinction: It's not black. :-) The case top is sliver.

--
Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg[_4_] Greg[_4_] is offline

Oh, &%$@. It started doing it again. And this time, safe mode doesn't help.

I'm wondering if it has some interaction with hibernation. I don't think
it went into hibernation since the prior restart before, and this time
was after coming out of hibernation. Why that should affect scrolling,
??? I'm grasping at straws here.

Greg