Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a clip art newsgroup?

On the clip art page I found a discussion group

"Discussions in Clip Art and Media"

Is there a version of this in the MS newgroup server format? Since I have several ng that I get in Outlook Express, I'd like to add this to them, and not go to the clipart page to read on it.

I put that name in ng search and nothing came up, but it might be under another name. You have to be pretty specific with searching for newsgroups.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

microsoft.public.design.gallery

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message ...

On the clip art page I found a discussion group

"Discussions in Clip Art and Media"

Is there a version of this in the MS newgroup server format? Since I have several ng that I get in Outlook Express, I'd like to add this to them, and not go to the clipart page to read on it.

I put that name in ng search and nothing came up, but it might be under another name. You have to be pretty specific with searching for newsgroups.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

I looked at this yesterday and was disappointed. It wasn't what I thought (about the art, how people use it and passing it around, etc) Maybe it was just that one day, but it seemed mainly about "how can I legally use the clip art?" and one thread where one person was trying to get another into trouble (or publically ruin their reputation, because what she was accusing could have been done privately and not "on the group") because she said they were using the clip art to make and sell logos (the other person denied this)

Maybe it's just me, but I've been on groups and discussion boards for around 10 years now, and I am so tired of people arguing and fighting and name calling and just plain negative-ness.

One thing I've liked all along about the MS newsgroups, they don't seem to have this, or as much of it. Maybe it gets taken off or stopped before it starts. But, overall, everyone seems to get along and have patience with another newbie question and polite and helpful to each other.

The clip art group (and as I said, maybe I just hit the wrong day) didn't seem like that, so I think I'll skip it.

I usually forget there is built in clip art (the little I used of this anyway, just playing around and learning new things, or adding a little picture to a personal letter, or address labels I make myself) and either look in my own files or in google search. For some reason I had been under the impression (from years ago) that it was okay to use the clip art, just not sell it AS clip art, in a collection, or part of one. Though I can see why making it into a logo and then selling the rights TO the logo to a customer wouldn't be good.

I don't know how that thread ended up, one was accusing and the other was denying, and a link was giving to "turn someone in" to microsoft, if you think they are using clip art in an illegal way.

Just not what I thought that goup was going to be about.

"Carrie" wrote in message ...

On the clip art page I found a discussion group

"Discussions in Clip Art and Media"

Is there a version of this in the MS newgroup server format? Since I have several ng that I get in Outlook Express, I'd like to add this to them, and not go to the clipart page to read on it.

I put that name in ng search and nothing came up, but it might be under another name. You have to be pretty specific with searching for newsgroups.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

There are binary groups that exchange clipart. Try alt.binaries.clip-art

The post to which you are referring to was a misunderstanding. The original
poster jumped to conclusions. The art was purchased by the commercial person.
Simply because the identical art was on the Microsoft site does not mean it
cannot be used commercially with permission and licensing from the vendor.

The clipart on the Office site is there for your use. If you want to use it
commercially then you need to get permission from the vendor/provider.

You are free to take clipart apart, re-color it, change its look in any number
of ways.

Make clip art look original in Publisher
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pu...196801033.aspx

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Carrie" wrote in message

On the clip art page I found a discussion group

"Discussions in Clip Art and Media"

Is there a version of this in the MS newgroup server format? Since I have
several ng that I get in Outlook Express, I'd like to add this to them, and not
go to the clipart page to read on it.

I put that name in ng search and nothing came up, but it might be under
another name. You have to be pretty specific with searching for newsgroups.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Thanks, Mary

I think it just struck me wrong yesterday, maybe on top of other things on
other groups.
Seems like there can be so much "meanness" on some of the groups. I haven't
found that on the MS groups I go on, and it surprised me.

I know, it was just me and how I was feeling at the time.

I was once on an egroup that shared and passed around clip art, some they
made- some they "sniped" somewhere on the internet. I asked at first if it
was all free to use and they said if it's on the group, unless it
specifically says otherwise, it's free for the taking. I finally dropped off
because it was too much, too fast and overwhelming (some must have spent
their every waking hour finding or making clip art (LOL) I think they were a
lot homemakers, people just using the pictures in fun ways, nothing
commercial or professional (like I am, for learning decrating letters or
address labels, etc)

I don't really use it all that much, anyway. But, I have seen copyrighted
pictures on websites that say they aren't to be used, and then seen them
other places being passed around. So, I suppose it's hard to strictly and
totally control ownership once something is online and starts to be used.

I'm glad it was a misunderstanding on the clip art group and got resolved.