Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Philip K Philip K is offline

Default XP plus 2007

Hi Everybody,
1. I just bought a new computer with Office 2007 already installed.
2. My wife and I dislike it.
3. The kids like it.
4. Can I install my old XP Office software and still keep version 2007
without a lot of aggravation.
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:50:07 -0500, "Philip K" PhilipK@aol/com
wrote:

Hi Everybody,
1. I just bought a new computer with Office 2007 already installed.
2. My wife and I dislike it.
3. The kids like it.
4. Can I install my old XP Office software and still keep version 2007
without a lot of aggravation.
Phil

You can indeed run two versions of Office side by side, with the
exception of Outlook. I'm doing that on this computer right now.

There's an annoyance with two versions of Word, where each time you
start up the "other" version it runs the installer to restore its
registry entries. This can be avoided by the steps shown at
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

I haven't tried installing Office 2003 on a computer that already has
2007. I know it works the other way, where you can tell the 2007
installer not to remove some or all of the previously installed 2003
programs.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

In general, installing older versions of software can mess up already
installed newer versions. Although I know of no particular issues I would be
very surprised if you didn't have some sort of problem installing XP over
2007. What you need to do is remove 2007 from the computer, install XP, and
then install 2007 again - making sure you choose the option to keep the then
existing XP version.

Before starting make sure you have the installation media for the new
version that came with your computer. If you don't already have it the
supplier ought to be able to provide it - although some resist it strongly.
If you have problems I *think* you should be able to download the trial
version from Mirosoft and then use your product key when you install it
(assuming you have the product key!) - but do get confirmation of this
before relying on it.

I will confirm what Jay says - I run XP, 2003, and 2007 almost
interchangeably on this computer without any problems and have another
computer with 95, 2000, 2003, and 2007 all installed and running (well, to
tell the truth, I am not certain that 95 runs - I haven't used it recently
)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Philip K Philip K is offline

Hi Jay,
Thanks for the advice.
Phil
cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all
may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Philip K Philip K is offline

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the advice.
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Chances are that a pre-installed version of Office 2007 is going to be a
trial version and will expire soon anyway?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shah Shailesh Shah Shailesh is offline

If you dislike ribbon, you can download free addins to use old classic menu
of office-2003 in Office-2007, from below page.

http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/menuaddins

Regards,
Shailesh Shah
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
If You Can't Excel with Talent, Triumph with Effort.

Free Addins Office Menu-2003 for Office-2007