Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
John John is offline

Default Why is my List Style reset?

Word 2007 SP1

XP Pro SP2

Problem: Why is my List Style reset?

Problem: How to export my List Style.

By the way, the original message was formatted in plaintext by mistake.

I tried to delete it, but it may still appear on the server for awhile.

I defined a new List Style called MyListStyle as follows:

Home tab | Paragraph section | Multilevel List dropdown | Define New List Styles ...

MyListStyle now appears in the Multilevel List dropdown in the List Styles section.

I right mouse click and select Modify to edit it.

The Modify Style dialog appears.

I click the Format button and select Numbering...

The Modify Multilevel List dialog appears.

For the "Link level to style" combo list, I select Heading 1.

I do this for the other levels i.e. Heading 2, etc.

So far so good. I can make headings which are formatted the way I like.

I noticed the following bad news. Suppose I go to the Multilevel List dropdown and use one of the canned lists in the List Library section. The headings change as expected. If I then go back to the List Styles and use my MyListStyle style, nothing works. Why? If you look at the Modify Multilevel List dialog for my MyListStyle style, the "Link level to style" are no longer Heading 1, but have been reset to "(no style)". In theory, I should be able to switch between my custom list style and the canned multilevel list styles without it resetting my list style from Heading 1, etc to "no styles". Why does this occur and is there a way to prevent it?

It is also unclear how to move MyListStyle to another document. If I copy a few headings in my current document and paste them into a second document, using Keep Source Formatting, MyListStyle is not there.

Thank you for the feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What you are describing (or variations on it) has been an issue of Word
since list styles were first introduced, I believe. Apparently, Word gets
confused when you apply a built-in numbering scheme to text when there is
already a list style using the same styles in the document.

Instead of applying a numbering scheme to text, modify the existing list
style, by right-clicking its name (under Home tab | Multilevel List, "List
Styles") and choosing Modify from the context menu. In the Modify Style
dialog box, click Format, and then click Numbering; this displays the Modify
Multilevel List dialog box.

To move a list style to another document, copy it *and* any associated
paragraph styles using the Organizer.

To open the Organizer dialog box: On the Developer tab, click Document
Template, and then click the Organizer button. (Alternatively, click Office
button | Word Options, Add-Ins category. For "Manage," choose "Templates,"
and then click the Go button.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
[...]

List dialog for my MyListStyle style, the "Link level to style" are no
longer Heading 1, but have been reset to "(no style)". In theory, I should
be able to switch between my custom list style and the canned multilevel
list styles without it resetting my list style from Heading 1, etc to "no
styles". Why does this occur and is there a way to prevent it?

It is also unclear how to move MyListStyle to another document. If I copy a
few headings in my current document and paste them into a second document,
using Keep Source Formatting, MyListStyle is not there.

Thank you for the feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
John John is offline

Stefan - Thank you for confirming that if you already have your own List Style and then go back and select a built-in numbering style from the List Library, it resets your List Style to "no style". Bottom line is never go back to built-in numbering styles once you define a List Style.

I'll try the organizer for moving a List Style to another document.

It is unfortunate that you cannot just cut and paste the List Style like you can do for other styles between documents. Using the Organizer is a pain.

"John" wrote in message
[...]

List dialog for my MyListStyle style, the "Link level to style" are no
longer Heading 1, but have been reset to "(no style)". In theory, I should
be able to switch between my custom list style and the canned multilevel
list styles without it resetting my list style from Heading 1, etc to "no
styles". Why does this occur and is there a way to prevent it?

It is also unclear how to move MyListStyle to another document. If I copy a
few headings in my current document and paste them into a second document,
using Keep Source Formatting, MyListStyle is not there.

Thank you for the feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that instead of copying styles, you can create a template that already
has the styles. Then create a new document based on the template and insert
an existing document to which you want to make the styles accessible.

To insert a file:

- Insert tab | Object | Text from File (Word 2007).

- Insert | File (Word 2003).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
Stefan - Thank you for confirming that if you already have your own List
Style and then go back and select a built-in numbering style from the List
Library, it resets your List Style to "no style". Bottom line is never go
back to built-in numbering styles once you define a List Style.

I'll try the organizer for moving a List Style to another document.

It is unfortunate that you cannot just cut and paste the List Style like
you
can do for other styles between documents. Using the Organizer is a pain.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
John John is offline

Stefan - Thank you for the feedback.
Your suggestion is probably the best way.

"John" wrote in message
Stefan - Thank you for confirming that if you already have your own List
Style and then go back and select a built-in numbering style from the List
Library, it resets your List Style to "no style". Bottom line is never go
back to built-in numbering styles once you define a List Style.

I'll try the organizer for moving a List Style to another document.

It is unfortunate that you cannot just cut and paste the List Style like
you
can do for other styles between documents. Using the Organizer is a pain.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--