Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default Word 2003 Style Set

The Word 2003 Style Set that Microsoft added in its final release uses 1-inch
margins rather than Word 2003's 1.25-inch margins and uses Calibri 12 rather
than TNR 12. Does anyone know why Microsoft did this? It's not truly a Word
2003 style set. Did they add the style set due to negative reactions to the
settings for wide line spacing and spacing between paragraphs? Also, I see
that they have an "Office Word 2003 Look" template, which does use the Word
2003 defaults for margins and fonts and spacing, so it seems odd that they
would not do the same for the Word 2003 Style Set. All information
appreciatted.

Arlene
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If you have Calabria, it means that you installed the Office 2007
compatibility pack which is where the C Fonts and 1" margins are standard.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Arlene" wrote in message
The Word 2003 Style Set that Microsoft added in its final release uses
1-inch
margins rather than Word 2003's 1.25-inch margins and uses Calibri 12
rather
than TNR 12. Does anyone know why Microsoft did this? It's not truly a
Word
2003 style set. Did they add the style set due to negative reactions to
the
settings for wide line spacing and spacing between paragraphs? Also, I see
that they have an "Office Word 2003 Look" template, which does use the
Word
2003 defaults for margins and fonts and spacing, so it seems odd that they
would not do the same for the Word 2003 Style Set. All information
appreciatted.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Arlene,

The Word 2003/Office classic features were included for folks who wanted the option to continue to maintain compatibility in
document appearance when migrating from an earlier version.

In Word 2007 the Quick Style sets, the Page Layout margins, and the Major/Minor Font pairs can all be set separately.

The Quick Style sets contain character, paragraph and linked(combo para/character) styles. They don't includ page margin settings.

In Page Layout=Margins there is an 'Office 2003 Default' setting that has the 1.25" left and right margins.

In Change Styles=Fonts using 'Office Classic' will put in the Office 2003 Arial/Times New Roman font combinations. The 'Normal'
style uses the +body font choice from the Major/minor font pairs.

You can set all three of those parameters to use the Word 2003 defaults once you've made the change.

=====================
"Arlene" wrote in message ...
The Word 2003 Style Set that Microsoft added in its final release uses 1-inch
margins rather than Word 2003's 1.25-inch margins and uses Calibri 12 rather
than TNR 12. Does anyone know why Microsoft did this? It's not truly a Word
2003 style set. Did they add the style set due to negative reactions to the
settings for wide line spacing and spacing between paragraphs? Also, I see
that they have an "Office Word 2003 Look" template, which does use the Word
2003 defaults for margins and fonts and spacing, so it seems odd that they
would not do the same for the Word 2003 Style Set. All information
appreciatted.

Arlene
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First, to clarify what a Style Set contains. A Style Set contains a group of
styles that include font and paragraph formatting only, not section
formatting such as page margins. Only a template contains styles and section
formatting.

So the Word 2003 Style Set can't include the margins but I agree, it should
use Times New Roman and I'm not sure why it doesn't. (I *thought* at one
time it did). I think you're right in your assessment and that the main
reason it's there is for the "old" spacing.

Now, if you want to change the fonts for the style set, or any style set, to
the 2003 look use the Fonts list found under Change Styles and select
"Office Classic". Of course you can always change your default margins and
fonts instead of using the "Office Word 2003 Look" template.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs