Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Murphy Brian Murphy is offline

Default Keep With Next does not work when picture set to wrapping style tight

I have a Heading followed by a paragraph.
"Keep with next" is set for the Heading style.

The Keep with next setting seems to work fine unless I anchor a
picture to the paragraph with a layout setting of "tight" (I want to
position the picture against the right margin, and have the paragraph
wrap around it on the left).

When the Heading & paragraph are at the bottom of a page and spill
over to the next page, I expect both to move to the next page. But
Word 2003 leaves the heading by itself at the bottom of the first
page.

Can anyone tell me how to get the heading to stay with the paragraph?

Strangely, I've also encounter times when the picture is jammed
against the top or bottom edge of a page, and Word refuses to let me
drag it away from the edge.

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Keep With Next does not work when picture set to wrapping style ti

I have come across this problem many times (it alos occurs with all layout
settings except InLineWithText) and have not come across a solution, except
to manually add a page break at the heading. This will obviously push the
Heading onto the next page and the image will settle into its proper position.
I have had reasonable success with the image placed into a Text box or Frame
but it is still very touchy with the placement. The Manual Page Break solves
it but not the most ideal solution for a document you want to paginate itself
as much as possible. So I tend to fix these occurences in the final
pagination process just before "publication".
Sorry not to have a definitive solution.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Brian Murphy" wrote:

I have a Heading followed by a paragraph.
"Keep with next" is set for the Heading style.

The Keep with next setting seems to work fine unless I anchor a
picture to the paragraph with a layout setting of "tight" (I want to
position the picture against the right margin, and have the paragraph
wrap around it on the left).

When the Heading & paragraph are at the bottom of a page and spill
over to the next page, I expect both to move to the next page. But
Word 2003 leaves the heading by itself at the bottom of the first
page.

Can anyone tell me how to get the heading to stay with the paragraph?

Strangely, I've also encounter times when the picture is jammed
against the top or bottom edge of a page, and Word refuses to let me
drag it away from the edge.

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Place the image "In line with text" and keep the caption in a separate
paragraph (above or below). Select both paragraphs and wrap a frame around
them; you can use the Insert Frame button on the Forms toolbar.

Make sure to drag the frame anchor to the heading; that way, the frame will
always be on the same page as the heading. This task will be easier if you
press Ctrl+Shift+8 to toggle nonprinting marks, including object anchors.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Brian Murphy" wrote in message
I have a Heading followed by a paragraph.
"Keep with next" is set for the Heading style.

The Keep with next setting seems to work fine unless I anchor a
picture to the paragraph with a layout setting of "tight" (I want to
position the picture against the right margin, and have the paragraph
wrap around it on the left).

When the Heading & paragraph are at the bottom of a page and spill
over to the next page, I expect both to move to the next page. But
Word 2003 leaves the heading by itself at the bottom of the first
page.

Can anyone tell me how to get the heading to stay with the paragraph?

Strangely, I've also encounter times when the picture is jammed
against the top or bottom edge of a page, and Word refuses to let me
drag it away from the edge.

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Murphy Brian Murphy is offline

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried your instructions, but I couldn't get it to work. I played
around with the Frame idea, and the Lock Anchor and Move With Text
options. I got a variety of odd behavior, but nothing that worked.
The oddest is jamming the picture against the top edge of the page.
Other times it fails to wrap text around the picture at all.

I'll try anything else you suggest. Otherwise, I'll either have to
live with an orphaned heading (yuck!), or insert a hard page break as
suggested by Dean (yuck, again!). The thing is, I have a lot of these
in the document, so as I continue editing, the problems move around
(double yuck!). I just may have to wait until the doc is finished and
do hard page breaks then. It's a long document, so having to use a
"workaround" is a major bummer (triple yuck!).

I love/hate Word. Sound familiar?

Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BoniM BoniM is offline

If you have Show/Hide turned on, you can see the anchor point at the
beginning of the paragraph. Drag the anchor so that the graphic is attached
to the heading. (And it still happens in 2007.)

"Brian Murphy" wrote:

I have a Heading followed by a paragraph.
"Keep with next" is set for the Heading style.

The Keep with next setting seems to work fine unless I anchor a
picture to the paragraph with a layout setting of "tight" (I want to
position the picture against the right margin, and have the paragraph
wrap around it on the left).

When the Heading & paragraph are at the bottom of a page and spill
over to the next page, I expect both to move to the next page. But
Word 2003 leaves the heading by itself at the bottom of the first
page.

Can anyone tell me how to get the heading to stay with the paragraph?

Strangely, I've also encounter times when the picture is jammed
against the top or bottom edge of a page, and Word refuses to let me
drag it away from the edge.

Thanks,

Brian Murphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It should be working, but it could be a bit fiddly to set it up correctly.
Use the Frame dialog box (right-click the frame boundary and choose Format
Frame from the context menu), making sure that the vertical position is
relative to the anchor paragraph. For more on anchors, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/drwgrphcs/anchors.htm.

If you can't get it to work properly, try placing all three paragraphs
within the frame: the heading, the paragraph containing the inline picture,
and the caption paragraph.