Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adam SF CA[_2_] Adam SF CA[_2_] is offline

Default Merge questions: Skip blank filed (Word 2007)

I am preparing a large merge for a letter. Some records have entries for
middle names, others do not.

I have attempted to apply a "Rule" to the Middle name field, using the "IF
THEN ELSE" command with the "is blank" comparison.

I end up deleting the field entirely. BTW, I am pulling data from an Excel
spreadsheet.

Thanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. Use ctrl-F9 to insert field code braces {}. use Alt-F9 to show/hide
field codes (or field results). Select a field and use F9 to update it.

2. Then supposing the relevant field names are firstname, middlename,
lastname, in Word 2007 you can use

{ MERGEFIELD firstname }{ MERGEFIELD middlename \b " " }{ MERGEFIELD
lastname \b " " }

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk