Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default Text boxes

I might have initially done this the wrong way.

I needed a lot of little labels or tags. To do this I created a table
and put a text box in each wit hthe requisite text.

Now I need to change the text and I cannot do a global find/replace on
the text in the text boxes.

Question 1: Is there a way to change text in all the text boxes using
find/replace?

Question 2. Is there a way to have a lot of text boxes mirror the text
in a "master" text box so that if I type text in one box it will
replicate in all the other text boxes?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

My question: Why did you put text boxes in the table in the first place?

As for your questions:

1. Replace should work if you use Replace All. Word won't find text in text
boxes until after it has searched the main document, but it will find it.

2. If you bookmark the text in one place, you can use a REF field to repeat
it elsewhere, but a REF field may not be able to "see" text in a text box.

Which brings us back to: Why are you using text boxes instead of just the
table cells?

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message
I might have initially done this the wrong way.

I needed a lot of little labels or tags. To do this I created a table
and put a text box in each wit hthe requisite text.

Now I need to change the text and I cannot do a global find/replace on
the text in the text boxes.

Question 1: Is there a way to change text in all the text boxes using
find/replace?

Question 2. Is there a way to have a lot of text boxes mirror the text
in a "master" text box so that if I type text in one box it will
replicate in all the other text boxes?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If by "text box", you mean a Text Input FormField as used in a document that
is Protected for Filling in forms, you would need to unprotect the document
to use the EditReplace facility. You can if necessary then reapply the
Protection.

To see how to have data entered into such formfields be repeated in other
places in a document, take a look at:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Hope this helps

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid, professional basis.

"MikeB" wrote in message
I might have initially done this the wrong way.

I needed a lot of little labels or tags. To do this I created a table
and put a text box in each wit hthe requisite text.

Now I need to change the text and I cannot do a global find/replace on
the text in the text boxes.

Question 1: Is there a way to change text in all the text boxes using
find/replace?

Question 2. Is there a way to have a lot of text boxes mirror the text
in a "master" text box so that if I type text in one box it will
replicate in all the other text boxes?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

On Oct 29, 9:33*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
My question: Why did you put text boxes in the table in the first place?

As for your questions:

1. Replace should work if you use Replace All. Word won't find text in text
boxes until after it has searched the main document, but it will find it.

2. If you bookmark the text in one place, you can use a REF field to repeat
it elsewhere, but a REF field may not be able to "see" text in a text box..

Which brings us back to: Why are you using text boxes instead of just the
table cells?

Well, I needed little dark edges around the words, but not on the edge
of the cells. So I made the text box with a border and then made the
cells borders invisible.

I guess there might have been other ways.

While waiting for an answer, I went a different route and made a table
with some cells blank. I made the blank cells narrow or thin,
depending on whether they were beside or above/below a cell with text
in it. so the cell (or box) with text in it is surrounded by blank
cells. Seems to work fine. Probably more flexible than the first
attempt.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

"MikeB" wrote in message

I might have initially done this the wrong way.

I needed a lot of little labels or tags. To do this I created a table
and put a text box in each wit hthe requisite text.

Now I need to change the text and I cannot do a global find/replace on
the text in the text boxes.

Question 1: Is there a way to change text in all the text boxes using
find/replace?

Question 2. Is there a way to have a lot of text boxes mirror the text
in a "master" text box so that if I type text in one box it will
replicate in all the other text boxes?

Thanks!

Thanks! Will check it out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

FWIW, you can add a border to the text inside the cell instead of to the
cell.

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

On Oct 30, 8:12*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
FWIW, you can add a border to the text inside the cell instead of to the
cell.

That would be exactly what I need. How would I go about it?

I suspected I wasn't doing the right thing, but I didn't know what
exactly would have been right. Newsgroups to the rescue!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Select the text; in the Borders and Shading dialog, make sure that Paragraph
is selected rather than Cell under "Apply to."

http://word.mvps.org