Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default How to force Line Spacing?

Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? Regardless of what that line contains?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In the Format Paragraph dialog (preferably by modifying the
appropriate style, but applying to a single paragraph is possible),
set the line spacing to Exactly instead of Single or At Least or any
other kind. That will force the baselines to be exactly the same
distance apart. But if a larger character doesn't fit between its
baseline and the one above, the top of the character will be cut off.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:02:00 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? Regardless of what that line contains?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Jay has explained how to use Exact line spacing. Another possible gotcha
here (also from ancient experience): if you happen to insert a picture into
a paragraph with Exact line spacing, you'll see only a narrow strip of it,
and it may be quite a while before you figure out what's wrong!

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? Regardless of what that line contains?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? *I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? *Regardless of what that line contains?

Thank you for your reply.

No Table, not necessary

set line height EXACTLY to original 12 pt, works as I wanted.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Word97 on Win98FE:

I need to adjust the line spacing whether a line contains slightly
larger fonts, or not.

I first tried outlining the text, then turning it into a table, 'none'
separation, and FORCE all to be 12 pt, matching the original font.
Looks great.

Then I made one character 16, which should just fit, but its presence
causes that single line to move down, and out of view ?? *I tried page
setup layout fo this one line and that doesn't work, either.

So, how do I make the bottom edge of a line stay evenly spaced down
the paper? *Regardless of what that line contains?

Got it!

However, I've got a small problem, but can workaround it (I think)

All the 14 pt text highlighted, and Exact at 16 pt makes all the text
almost the same total height. And, there in lays the problem, "almost
the same height"

For most of my uses, this will be ok, just irksome. But could be
catastrophic if I neded it to match the other column beside it.

So, is there some way to put in line height of 16.05 pt?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I wouldn't have thought so (I would have guessed that precision would be
only half a point or at most a tenth), but Word allows me to type in such a
measurement, and when I return to the paragraph dialog, it displays this
measurement, so try it and see whether it works for you.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:02:05 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

[...]

Yes, of course -- just type 16.05 pt in the At box for line spacing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:
[...]

Suzanne and Jay,

Thank you for suggesting I try it. It works! In this instance, I
actually needed 16.10 pt, and that nudged the length to just match
within tolerances at 500%

I once this tried 'micro-adjusting' on font height and it seemed to
only adjust with integer steps, even thought the display said
something else. Maybe it was working and I couldn't see it.

But, still the bottom line: confirm 16.05 and 16.10 both show up as
subtle changes to the overall height.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Font size can be adjusted only in half-point increments (which is why I
would have expected the same for line spacing). Publisher allows 0.1-point
increments in font size. I really was surprised that line spacing can be
adjusted so much more precisely.

wrote:
[...]

so all may benefit.