Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BDankas BDankas is offline

Default longer drop down box content?

I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard form
fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of three
paragraphs to insert into the letter. I was thinking a a drop-down box would
be the easiest excpet for the fact that the drop-down box only lets me put in
approx. 10 words. My paragraphs are approx. 70 words. Is there a way to
make the drop-down options longer? Or, is there a better way to do this?

I am using Word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A dropdown formfield has an absolute limit of 25 items and 50 characters per
item. There is no way to increase those numbers. The workaround is to create
a userform containing a list box, and copy the user's choice from that list
box back into the document. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/FormField_...rm_ListBox.htm for an illustration
of this workaround and a sample download.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

BDankas wrote:
I am creating a form letter in Word where the user fills in standard
form fields (company name, address, etc.) and needs to choose one of
three paragraphs to insert into the letter. I was thinking a a
drop-down box would be the easiest excpet for the fact that the
drop-down box only lets me put in approx. 10 words. My paragraphs
are approx. 70 words. Is there a way to make the drop-down options
longer? Or, is there a better way to do this?

I am using Word 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, it does. The list box or the combo box in a userform will accept
a large number of characters per entry. As an experiment, I've just
made a list box with one entry that contains 104 words that total 590
characters, and it works.

However, a list box or combo box will only display as many characters
as will fit in the width you give to the box. Even if you're willing
to make the box very wide, probably you could not see the whole entry.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman