Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sewinglady sewinglady is offline

Default How can I count characters in a document?

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:40:01 -0700, sewinglady
wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Review tab of the Ribbon, in the Proofing group, Word count is the
bottom button on the right (the one with ABC/123). But it's much easier to
click on the Word Count button on the status bar, which pops up the same
dialog.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dckrl dckrl is offline

Is there any way to change the count default unit on the status bar from
"words" to "characters (with spaces)"? For my purposes, word count would be
too imprecise.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Spelling error in word Spelling error in word is offline

see the spelling of "Does" in the help section of MS WORD......

Dose wordcount count each word? or just those over 3 letters?

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

You could answer this for yourself, by testing on a document with words of 1-4 letters long!

--
Cheers
macropod

news

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ROGER459 ROGER459 is offline

Good Answer... BUT... I need an... "ON-GOING"... Character Count inside the
WORD COUNT "BOX" at the Bottom of the page. I do not want to STOP and then
see how many Characters I have typed!

Many times I am limited by CHARACTER COUNT, and Not Word COUNT!

Thanks, for your Help! Cordially, Roger R.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
scout scout is offline

I had the Word Count button on the status bar but it just suddenly disappeard
and now when I right click it on the status bar I get 'Find and Replace'.
How can I get word count back?

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming you're in Word2007 also, right-clicking directly on the
status bar (in the middle, where it's blank) should bring up a pup-up
with lots of choices of things to show (including Section, Language,
and Caps Lock), and among them is Word Count.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gudulzz gudulzz is offline

If you are adept at the keyboard, "ALT+T then W" displays the word count box.
And no there is no way of changing the bar at the bottom to show characters.

--
Powerpoint maniacs unite.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ValerieH ValerieH is offline

Hi, I needed to find the "character" count for the first time in Word 2007
and looked it up and came to this post. I am surprised to see the Microsoft
does not really have instructions in the Help section, However after reading
this entire email from top to bottom, this one, with the keyboard
instructions is what worked for me.
When I go to Review there is no "proofing" for me to select? What am I
missing? I would like to know how to click to it as well. I dont know why
they couldnt include it with the word count area, which seems to be the first
place it should be associated with. It would be great if I could get the
answer.
Thanks,
Val

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Click "Word Count" in the Status Bar. (If "Word Count" isn't showing
in the Status Bar, right-click the Status Bar and check it). You will
get a count of characters, both including and not including spaces.

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DV[_2_] DV[_2_] is offline

The way to do an on going character count is to right click the status bar
and select column. This will tell you how many "characters" there are as you
type. The only problem is if you edit a line you need to put the cursor back
to the end of the line to get the total character count. Make sense?

wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Click Tools Word Count (in Word 2007, Review Proofing Word
Count). It will tell you the number of characters with and without
spaces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AWOL4mylo AWOL4mylo is offline

A related question - why does MSWD 2007 return character counts that show
approx. 10% more characters than the previous version of MSWD? Is it
counting tags, too? Am I missing something? It's IMPORTANT for me because I
am a translator and I get paid per character... (and the delta isn't due to
footnotes or text boxes, I checked) THANKS

"sewinglady" wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bell-lady bell-lady is offline

How come the character count tool only counts to 9,000 in word 2007; 2003 did
it right. 2007 Word cuts off the final character.
I ask because I am typing so all text fits in a web page preset box that
only can hold 12,000 characters including spaces. So half the time I have to
try twice to get it to fit. Can't they make that field big enough to hold a
number up to 5 digits and a comma?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Slifko John Slifko is offline

"sewinglady" wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"sewinglady" wrote:

I need to count characters automatically in my word documents.
Need help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word?

http://word.mvps.org