Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dswirsky dswirsky is offline

Default Difference between Word startup folder and Office startup folder

I copied a .dot file into the Office 2007 startup folder. When I tried to
run the macro from Word 2007 I got a "disabled macros" message. When I moved
the file to the Word startup folder, I was able to run the macro without any
difficulty. (The .dot file contains a macro that I only use in Word 2007.)

Is this a bug? Is there a reason to put a .dot file in the Office startup
folder as opposed to the Word startup folder, or vice versa?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Templates in the Word and Office startup folders are loaded automatically
when Word starts, however the Office startup folder is not by default a
trusted location and so macros there will not run unless you make it so.

If you are running both Word 2007 and a parallel earlier version, the best
plan it to create separate user template and startup folders for each (from
Word Oprions) and keep the templates used separate from one another. I would
suggest that you don't use the Office startup folder unless there is a
pressing reason I can't think of to do so.

"dswirsky" wrote in message
I copied a .dot file into the Office 2007 startup folder. When I tried to
run the macro from Word 2007 I got a "disabled macros" message. When I
moved
the file to the Word startup folder, I was able to run the macro without
any
difficulty. (The .dot file contains a macro that I only use in Word
2007.)

Is this a bug? Is there a reason to put a .dot file in the Office startup
folder as opposed to the Word startup folder, or vice versa?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dswirsky dswirsky is offline

Default Difference between Word startup folder and Office startup fold

Thanks!

Assuming that we're talking about only running Word 2007 and multiple users,
would I have to copy the .dot file to each user's Word startup directory, or
is there one global Word startup directory that would cover all users?

Dan

"dswirsky" wrote in message
I copied a .dot file into the Office 2007 startup folder. When I tried to
run the macro from Word 2007 I got a "disabled macros" message. When I
moved
the file to the Word startup folder, I was able to run the macro without
any
difficulty. (The .dot file contains a macro that I only use in Word
2007.)

Is this a bug? Is there a reason to put a .dot file in the Office startup
folder as opposed to the Word startup folder, or vice versa?

Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Bearing in mind that you may not share the normal template, you should be
able to set the Word startup folder for each user to a common shared
location, or you could copy the template to the user's local startup folder
as part of a log-in script, whichever works better for you. I think that on
balance I prefer the latter approach on the grounds that with shared
resources, when one user screws things up they screw it up for everybody.