Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcshrm lcshrm is offline

Default Bullet & Text combo

Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vttotal vttotal is offline

Apparently that cannot be done with Microsoft Word.

If you really have to make that work the best thing to do is to create a
table with three columns with invisible gridlines. One column would have the
arrow,m the other one the word important and the n the last one the text you
want to include in that row.

Let me know if this information was useful,

Vicente Tulliano

"lcshrm" wrote:

Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, you can add text before or after a number or bullet character,
but (as far as I can tell) not if you are using a picture bullet.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lcshrm" wrote in message
Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Using tables would of course do the trick. Good idea!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lcshrm" wrote:

Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, it would depend on how you create the arrow. You can have only one
font and only one color as part of a "numbering" scheme, but if you are
using a font that includes arrows, such as TRN or Arial, you could use one
of those (they're not very satisfactory, but they are arrows) with the word
IMPORTANT; the whole thing would have to be red, however.

http://word.mvps.org

"lcshrm" wrote in message
Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fumei2 via OfficeKB.com Fumei2 via OfficeKB.com is offline

"Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

Actually...there is.

Make a graphic with a red arrow and the text IMPORTANT.

Save it.

Import it as the bullet picture.

Voila. The graphic IS the bullet, and the graphic has the red arrow and
"IMPORTANT".

You can make any graphic (image file) into a bullet.

Please note that you will undoubtedly have to fiddle a bit to determine the
pixel size to use. That will take some testing....AND...what actually is
there will be affected by the current printer driver. In other words, it may
NOT look the same on another machine.

Stefan Blom wrote:
In Word 2007, you can add text before or after a number or bullet character,
but (as far as I can tell) not if you are using a picture bullet.

Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of a
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Maybe my reply was a bit unclear. By "bullet character" I meant any symbol
that you can add as a character from a font, including the arrows that you
mentioned in your message.

In contrast, "picture bullet" (in Word terminology) is an actual
picture/graphic inserted as a bullet; from Word 2003 (2002?), picture
bullets can be added to a style definition.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lcshrm" wrote in message
Is there a way to create a bullet list style that uses a combination of
bullet and text; e.g., a red arrow and the word "important?"

I have a client that wants several styles like this in a new template.
--
lcshrm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good idea (with certain limitations that you have already mentioned). I
belive the workaround suggested by "vttotal" would be easier, though. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP