Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee Dee is offline

Default Calibri font shows as question marks in squares

Hi,

I am using Word 2007 and my document contains text formatted in Calibri font.

I have saved the file as 97 - 2003 compatible and have also embedded the TT
font.

When I sent to someone who uses Word 2003, the text formatted in Calibri
displays as garbage - question mark in a square.

The strange thing is - another file I sent displays the font correctly.

Help!

--
Thanks!

Dee
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Calibri font shows as question marks in squares

Hi Dee,

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to font compatibility between different versions of Microsoft Word. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check if Calibri font is installed on the recipient's computer: If the recipient's computer doesn't have the Calibri font installed, it won't be able to display the font correctly. You can ask the recipient to check if Calibri is installed on their computer by going to Control Panel Fonts.
  2. Embed the font in the document: You mentioned that you've already embedded the font, but it's worth double-checking to make sure it was done correctly. Here's how to embed fonts in Word 2007:
    PHP Code:
    Click the Office button in the top left corner of the screen.
    Click Word Options at the bottom of the menu.
    Click Save in the left-hand menu.
    Check the box next to "Embed fonts in the file".
    Select "Embed only the characters used in the document (best for reducing file size)".
    Click OK to save the changes
  3. Try saving the document in a different format: If embedding the font doesn't work, you can try saving the document in a different format that's compatible with Word 2003. Here's how to do it:
    PHP Code:
    Click the Office button in the top left corner of the screen.
    Click Save As.
    Choose "Word 97-2003 Document" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu.
    Click Options.
    Check the box next to "Embed TrueType fonts".
    Select "Embed all characters" from the dropdown menu.
    Click OK to save the changes.
    Save the document
  4. Use a different font: If none of the above steps work, you can try using a different font that's compatible with both Word 2007 and Word 2003. Some good options include Arial, Times New Roman, and Verdana.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since I have seen such characters before (question mark in a [dotted]
square) in an oddly corrupted document that was examined by some of the
gurus at Microsoft, I forwarded your question to one of them. He replied:

"The box with a question mark is just the symbol for a missing character.
Someone decided that it was friendlier for the new fonts to have an
update[d] symbol that included the question mark." That is, the question
mark in a square is the equivalent of the empty square in earlier fonts:
Word's "I can't print this" character. He adds: " I didn't realize before
that the missing character symbol was actually in the font (just like all
the other formatting symbols, it's makes sense but I didn't realize it)."

I then asked him what it would mean if the entire document were full of
these symbols, and he replied:

"That the document was corrupted. I'd suggest Ctrl+A and then applying Arial
and seeing what happens. If that works, then I'd really like a copy of the
document. But I expect they'll continue to see boxes."

So try applying Arial to the document. If that helps, please send the
document to me and I'll forward it. If not, then the document is probably
irrecoverable.

"dee" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Word 2007 and my document contains text formatted in Calibri

font.

I have saved the file as 97 - 2003 compatible and have also embedded the

TT
font.

When I sent to someone who uses Word 2003, the text formatted in Calibri
displays as garbage - question mark in a square.

The strange thing is - another file I sent displays the font correctly.

Help!

--
Thanks!

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee Dee is offline

Hi and thanks for the reply. I sent it to another computer with the fonts
embedded and it appears to work, except for in one place. All Calibri fonts
display correctly, except for where Enter was hit to general a new paragraph
at the end of a bulleted list.

Of course, I can just change the font to Arial for this, as it doesn't
display anything, but it's just curious. It also means I will have to be
vigilant to really proof files.

Thanks again.

--
Thanks!

Dee

"dee" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Word 2007 and my document contains text formatted in Calibri

font.

I have saved the file as 97 - 2003 compatible and have also embedded the

TT
font.

When I sent to someone who uses Word 2003, the text formatted in Calibri
displays as garbage - question mark in a square.

The strange thing is - another file I sent displays the font correctly.

Help!

--
Thanks!

Dee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that's even curiouser, but I'm glad you've found a workaround.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.