Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MG Chicago MG Chicago is offline

Default How do I set up a document akin to a mad lib?

I'm typing up a story for a town hall meeting and a game we are doing
involves a mad lib type story. Am I able to type it up in word, and if so
what do I need to do to get it to look like a mad lib with the blank line
with the clue/verb underneath it?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I set up a document akin to a mad lib?

How to Set Up a Mad Lib Type Story in Microsoft Word

1. Open a new Word document and type out your story, leaving blank spaces where you want the user to fill in their own words.
  1. Highlight the blank space where you want the user to input their word.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Text Box" in the "Text" section.
  4. Choose the "Simple Text Box" option.
  5. Type in the clue or verb that you want the user to fill in.
  6. Click outside of the text box to close it.
  7. Repeat steps 2-7 for each blank space in your story.

2. To make the text boxes stand out, you can add a border or change the fill color. To do this, click on the text box and then click on the "Format" tab that appears. From there, you can choose the "Shape Outline" or "Shape Fill" options to customize the appearance of the text box.

3. Save your document and you're ready to go!

By following these steps, you should be able to create a mad lib type story in Microsoft Word with blank spaces and clues/verbs underneath them. Have fun with your town hall meeting game!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

What's a town hall meeting? What's a mad lib? And what version of Word are
you using?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"MG Chicago" MG wrote in message
I'm typing up a story for a town hall meeting and a game we are doing
involves a mad lib type story. Am I able to type it up in word, and if so
what do I need to do to get it to look like a mad lib with the blank line
with the clue/verb underneath it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A mad lib is a "fill in the blanks" story--e.g., "a _____(noun) went into a
_____(adjective) bar."

The town hall meeting bit I think does not matter to the Word techniques.

***Option 1: If you want to be able to edit the story, using Equations would
get you close to what you want. A Fraction that is blank on top with (noun)
below gets you the underscore and the clue below it, but the underscore is a
bit higher than flows naturally with the text. However, you can let Word
wrap the lines, as the equations are just objects inserted into the text.
To experiment with this option, use Insert | Object | Microsoft Equation
(with the cursor where you want the blank/clue). Once the Equation window
comes up, hit Help to see how it works. I can't figure out how to lower the
position of the equation, though.

***Option 2: The "do-it-once and print" way, with lots of manual adjustment
and hassle. Type your story, inserting the blanks by typing shift-minus
many times. After doing this once, you can copy and paste the blank.

When the story is done, manually double-space by hitting enter twice at the
end of each line. In the blank lines thus created, use tab and space to put
your clue underneath the line.

If you ever need to edit, you may need to manually fix all those line
breaks, so don't do this until editing, spellchecking, everything is ALL
DONE.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Option 1, I think you can select the resulting equation and lower it
using the Character Spacing tab of Format | Font.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Then Suzanne Barnhill wrote:

In Option 1, I think you can select the resulting equation and
lower it using the Character Spacing tab of Format | Font.

Actually, a better option than using a fraction in Equation is to
use an "underscript" template. The underscript is in the second
row of palette buttons, third from the left, in a palette called
"Subscript and superscript templates". (This is the palette next
to the one with fractions.) Once this palette is open, you'll
notice the underscript template right in the middle -- second
column, third row. This template has the advantage of "noun" (or
whatever) being smaller than regular text, as it is in an
authentic Mad Libs tablet. To get the line inside the template,
first enter the underscript template into the "equation", then
with the insertion point inside the top half of the template,
enter an "underbar" template. Underbars and overbars are three
palettes to the right of subscripts & superscripts, immediately
to the right of the integrals palette. The underbar is in the
first column, second row.

Once this nested "underscript/underbar" template is in the
document, you can copy and paste it to other places in the
document to keep from constructing it every time.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a great idea, Bob. I tried it, and there's one more thing you have
to know: After inserting the underbar, you need to change the style in the
top box to Text so that you can insert spaces to make the line as long as
required.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 10-Dec-2006, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a great idea, Bob. I tried it, and there's one more
thing you have to know: After inserting the underbar, you need
to change the style in the top box to Text so that you can
insert
spaces to make the line as long as required.

Oh yeah; you're right. I guess that's why newsgroups are a team
effort -- to take care of memory gaps in old guys like me. ;-)

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Wow, pretty snazzy, all. Looks much better than the fraction. I'm tempted
to write a mad lib just to use this new skill.

I hope the original poster will benefit--but if not, it's in the archives!