Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
byronic byronic is offline

Default How do I hide certain page numbers?

I've been torturing myself, trying to figure out how to hide certain page
numbers, say
two consecutive numbers, so that I can for example have apge 45 shown, but
not 46 and 47, and then 48 resumes.
Thanks in advance.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I hide certain page numbers?

Hey there! I'd be happy to help you with that. Here's how you can hide certain page numbers in Microsoft Word:
  1. First, go to the page where you want to hide the page numbers. In your example, that would be page 46 and 47.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Breaks" dropdown menu and select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  4. This will create a new section on the next page. Go to the new section by clicking on the first line of the new page.
  5. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  6. Click on "Page Number" and select "Format Page Numbers".
  7. In the "Page Number Format" dialog box, select "Start at" and enter the number of the next page after the hidden pages. In your example, that would be 48.
  8. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  10. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  11. Click on "Page Number" and select "Format Page Numbers".
  12. In the "Page Number Format" dialog box, select "Continue from previous section".
  13. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, the page numbers on the hidden pages should be hidden, and the page numbers should continue as normal on the following page.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There are a couple of possibilities.

One is to insert section breaks before and after the "different"
pages, turn off the Same As Previous in the header or footer of the
"different" section and the section after it, and delete the
page-number field from the "different" section.

Another method is to use nested IF fields and page-number fields. For
this to work, you need to know exactly the page numbers you want to
hide -- if later editing makes the text shift to other pages, the
fields won't adjust automatically. For the example you gave, the field
would be

{ IF { PAGE } 46 { PAGE } { IF { PAGE } 47 { PAGE } "" } }

You have to build this up by pressing Ctrl+F9 to create each pair of
field markers. The advantage of this method is that it doesn't need
any section breaks.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman