MLT

Default Can I stretch text to fill in a text box? If so how?

I am doing a newsletter and want to put the Title on the cover page in the
left hand column with the letters sideways. I put the title in a text box
and got them turned over but the largest font I can get is 72 and that does
not fill the column. There must be a way to stretch this but I cannot find
it. I cannot seem to find an answer in help or previous posts here. Help
would be appreciated
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I stretch text to fill in a text box? If so how?

Yes, you can stretch text to fill in a text box in Microsoft Word. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the text box by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the "Format" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on the "Text Box" button in the "Text Box Styles" group.
  4. Click on the "Shape Options" button.
  5. Click on the "Text Box" category in the left-hand pane.
  6. In the "Internal Margin" section, change the values for "Top", "Bottom", "Left", and "Right" to "0".
  7. Click on the "Text Box" category in the left-hand pane again.
  8. In the "Text Box Size" section, change the values for "Width" and "Height" to the size you want the text box to be.
  9. Click on the "Text Effects" button in the "WordArt Styles" group.
  10. Click on the "Transform" option.
  11. Choose the style you want for your text, such as "Rotate All Letters 90°".
  12. Adjust the font size as needed to fill the text box.

By following these steps, you should be able to stretch your text to fill in the text box and achieve the desired effect for your newsletter cover page.
__________________
Stefan Blom

You can make the font size larger than 72 pt (the maximum font size is
actually 1638 pt): Just select the text and then choose FormatFont.
On the Font tab, click in the "Size" box, type the desired amount, and
then press ENTER (or click the OK button).

Alternatively, you could use WordArt (InsertPictureWordArt). With
WordArt, you can add text (of the specified size) and then, as you
drag the borders of the WordArt, the text will resize to fit the new
object size. WordArts also offer some additional formatting options.
For example, you can place the text vertically, if you like.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MLT" wrote in message
I am doing a newsletter and want to put the Title on the cover page

in the
left hand column with the letters sideways. I put the title in a

text box
and got them turned over but the largest font I can get is 72 and

that does
not fill the column. There must be a way to stretch this but I

cannot find
it. I cannot seem to find an answer in help or previous posts here.

Help
would be appreciated

Mike

WordArt is handy for stretching text to fit a specific width. You can also
go to Format, Font, then click Character Spacing - in the 'Scale' box type
in a number larger than 100% to stretch the heading (this option keeps the
height the same).

Mike