Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack

Default Error! No table of contents entries found.-Help

I have word 2000 sp3. Have been editing a document and creating TOC
using styles for the last few days. Today when recreating the TOC, I
got the message Error! No table of contents entries found
and have been unable to create an index.

I have gone to MSoft to review my updates, and confirmed I have latest
updates and patches.

Has anyone got some ideas how to resolve this? I did see 1 MSoft
article about separator characters and regional settings - but these
are (, comma) and have been working for the last month.

I 'm sure this has happened to others but have found nothing.

TIA
jack

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Error! No table of contents entries found.-Help

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble creating a table of contents in Word 2000. The error message you're seeing usually means that Word can't find any text that has been marked for inclusion in the table of contents.

Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check that your headings are formatted correctly: To be included in the table of contents, your headings need to be formatted using Word's built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.). Make sure that your headings are formatted consistently and that you haven't accidentally changed the formatting of any of them.
  2. Update the table of contents field: If you've made changes to your document since you last updated the table of contents, you'll need to update the field to include those changes. To do this, place your cursor in the table of contents and press F9. This should update the field and include any new headings.
  3. Check the table of contents options: Word's table of contents options allow you to specify which heading levels should be included in the table of contents. Make sure that the options are set correctly for your document. To access the options, right-click on the table of contents and select "Edit Field". Then click on the "Table of Contents" button and review the options.
  4. Try creating a new table of contents: If all else fails, you can try creating a new table of contents from scratch. To do this, select "Insert" from the menu bar, then "Index and Tables", then "Table of Contents". Make sure that the "Show page numbers" and "Right align page numbers" options are selected, then click "OK". Word should create a new table of contents based on your document's headings.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

It sounds like you recreated the TOC using TC fields rather than headings.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have word 2000 sp3. Have been editing a document and creating TOC
using styles for the last few days. Today when recreating the TOC, I
got the message Error! No table of contents entries found
and have been unable to create an index.

I have gone to MSoft to review my updates, and confirmed I have latest
updates and patches.

Has anyone got some ideas how to resolve this? I did see 1 MSoft
article about separator characters and regional settings - but these
are (, comma) and have been working for the last month.

I 'm sure this has happened to others but have found nothing.

TIA
jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack

Charles,

I am recreating the TOC using
INSERT
STYLES ( I am using custom styles head 1 head 2 and head 3)
and DELETE current TOC (but now there isn't a current TOC)

WORD is not keeping my styles assignments. It used to??

I have just tried copying part of doc to new doc and create TOC for the
partial doc. It works????

jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Insert Styles? I'm lost.

Try copying the TOC from your scratch document into the problem one. Update
the Field (F9).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Charles,

I am recreating the TOC using
INSERT
STYLES ( I am using custom styles head 1 head 2 and head 3)
and DELETE current TOC (but now there isn't a current TOC)

WORD is not keeping my styles assignments. It used to??

I have just tried copying part of doc to new doc and create TOC for the
partial doc. It works????

jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To build a TOC based on custom styles, you must explicitly select them in
the Options dialog unless you have assigned outline levels to the styles.
See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Charles,

I am recreating the TOC using
INSERT
STYLES ( I am using custom styles head 1 head 2 and head 3)
and DELETE current TOC (but now there isn't a current TOC)

WORD is not keeping my styles assignments. It used to??

I have just tried copying part of doc to new doc and create TOC for the
partial doc. It works????

jack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack

Suzanne, Charles
That is exactly what I do, and have been doing.

Insert Table of Contents
In options --- assign head 1 to TOC 1, head 2 to TOC 2 and Head 3 to
TOC 3.

At this point I am assinging the head 1 to TOC 1 etc everytime I try to
create the Table of Contents. Previously, these assignments were made
once and then they appeared in the Options list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack

Charles,
I did take the partial TOC and copied it to my full document.

Then saved the file, then tried to recreate the TOC -- same error
message.
???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You shouldn't have to "create" a TOC more than once; after that you just
update it using F9. But yes, every time you "create" it you have to set
these options over again.

"jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne, Charles
That is exactly what I do, and have been doing.

Insert Table of Contents
In options --- assign head 1 to TOC 1, head 2 to TOC 2 and Head 3 to
TOC 3.

At this point I am assinging the head 1 to TOC 1 etc everytime I try to
create the Table of Contents. Previously, these assignments were made
once and then they appeared in the Options list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack

Suzanne, Charles

Thank you for your comments. I have added the links you provided to my
favorites.

Suzanne, I looked at the WORD MVP FAQ site and found a mechanism to
"fix" a corrupt WORD document (which is my suspicion). .

Here is the material :
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I fix a corrupt document?
If using Word 2000 or Above:
Select File + Save As Web page, quit Word, reopen the htm file and save
it back in Word format - that usually (but not always) gets rid of
corruptions. The HTML/XML format forces Word to completely re-create
the internal structure of the document, either fixing or discarding the
corrupt bits when it does. Best of all, in the case of Word 2000 and
above, almost all of the formatting and page layout is preserved.
Please note: to preserve your formatting, you must select the plain
Save As "Web Page" option

I saved my current document as a webpage, then immediately saved it
back as a .doc
I am now able to insert the index. Don't know if its a fix or a
temporary symptom cure only, but will proceed. "Fixing a potential
corrupt WORD doc" seems to have worked for the moment.

Thank you for your assistance.

jack