Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mactenaka mactenaka is offline

Default "Spoiler Tag" or the equivalent

If anyone is familiar with message boards there is a spoiler tag in many
boards on the net. Is there any way I can do the same thing in Word or even
better Outlook?

No, I do no want to use hidden text by itself. I want the reader to know
that there is a section of text that is hidden and a button that they can
click to show or hide the text that I want hidden. if I can edit what that
button says, even better.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: "Spoiler Tag" or the equivalent

Yes, you can create a "spoiler tag" or toggle button in both Word and Outlook using the "Show/Hide" feature. Here's how:
  1. Open a new or existing document in Word or create a new email in Outlook.
  2. Type the text that you want to hide under the spoiler tag.
  3. Highlight the text that you want to hide and click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  4. In the "Paragraph" section, click on the symbol that looks like a backwards "P" with an arrow pointing to the right. This is the "Show/Hide" button that will reveal all hidden formatting in your document.
  5. You should now see a code that looks like this: "^p" (this represents a paragraph break). Place your cursor at the end of this code and press the "Enter" key to create a new line.
  6. Type the text that you want to use as the toggle button, such as "Spoiler Alert" or "Click to Reveal".
  7. Highlight the toggle button text and click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  8. In the "Links" section, click on "Bookmark".
  9. In the "Bookmark name" field, type a name for your bookmark, such as "Spoiler".
  10. Click "Add" and then "OK".
  11. Highlight the hidden text again and click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  12. In the "Links" section, click on "Hyperlink".
  13. In the "Link to" field, select "Place in This Document".
  14. In the "Select a place in the document" section, choose the bookmark that you just created ("Spoiler").
  15. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  16. Your toggle button should now be linked to the hidden text. Click on the button to test it out and make sure it works as expected.

That's it! You can now use this technique to create spoiler tags or toggle buttons in your Word documents or Outlook emails.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no way to reproduce this effect in Word, but there are alternatives
that may work for you eg http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm
Or you could use a macrobutton field to pop up a message in a box.
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm