Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eileen Eileen is offline

Default How to copy desktop shortcut icon into a word document?

I am not getting an actual picture of the icon, but only a blank document
picture and the document title. I am using paste special and selecting the
box that says 'paste icon'.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to copy desktop shortcut icon into a word document?

To copy a desktop shortcut icon into a Word document, you can follow these steps:
[list=1][*]Right-click on the desktop shortcut icon you want to copy.[*]Select "Copy" from the context menu.[*]Open your Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the icon.[*]Right-click and select "Paste" or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+V" to paste the icon into the document.[*]If you only see a blank document picture and the document title, try right-clicking on the icon in the Word document and selecting "Update Field." This should refresh the icon and display the correct image.

If you still only see a blank document picture, you can try a different method to insert the icon:
  1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut icon you want to copy.
  2. Select "Properties" from the context menu.
  3. In the Properties window, click on the "Shortcut" tab.
  4. Click on the "Change Icon" button.
  5. Select the icon you want to use from the list or browse for a different icon file.
  6. Click "OK" to close the Change Icon window.
  7. Click "Apply" and "OK" to close the Properties window.
  8. Right-click on the desktop shortcut icon again and select "Copy."
  9. Open your Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the icon.
  10. Right-click and select "Paste" or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+V" to paste the icon into the document.

This method should ensure that the correct icon image is displayed in the Word document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Eileen -

First, understand that Icons are not simply pictures - such as clip art &
other images. They are devices used by the OS and applications. They
represent files & folders, which are what actually get pasted into your
document. The graphic you see on screen identifies the type of object and is
only *a part* of what an icon actually is.

Second, the checkbox is labled "Display as Icon" - *not* "paste icon" -
which is a setting that determines that the file being pasted into your doc
be represented by an icon rather than actually displaying the content of the
file.

Third, Shortcuts do not have an icon of their own - they 'read' how they
should display from the object they represent. That explains [basically] why
the pasted shortcut displays as blank - it has no icon of its own to
display - so it can only display the name of the file it is linked to.

So, if you *do* want to include a linked or embedded file & have the file
displayed as an icon, copy the file rather than a Shortcut & use the
"Display as Icon" option. OTOH, if you really only want to have a graphic
(picture) without creating a linked or embedded file you'll be better off
using clip art from the Clip Art Gallery, the MS Web Site, Google graphics,
or some other source of artwork. You may also want to look into screen shot
programs - such as SnagIt - which allow you to 'take pictures' of anything
displayed on screen which can then be directly pasted into your doc or
edited & saved as image files and readily used in your docs. If you're
interested in SnagIt a free trial is available here;

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp?CMP=KmsnStm

and there are plenty of other screen capture programs to choose from.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Eileen" wrote in message
I am not getting an actual picture of the icon, but only a blank document
picture and the document title. I am using paste special and selecting
the
box that says 'paste icon'.

How do I create Word macro that will run properly using copy/past. Joye Microsoft Word Help 1 June 23rd 06 10:41 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
How to reformat a complete document. wanda Microsoft Word Help 16 February 11th 06 11:43 PM