Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sanguinarius Sanguinarius is offline

Default Can't delete dotted line; apparently a page break

I've got this pesky dotted line right in the middle of my document's page. It
apparently is a page break because all text after it goes onto the next page.
I've gone into Draft View and made the paragraph markers show, but I can't
select the line in order to delete it.

The text after it, I go into where it says "Page break before" and it is NOT
selected.

I don't know how it got there (IE, I didn't put it there) but it's messing
things up! I don't know how to get rid of it!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't delete dotted line; apparently a page break

It sounds like you have a section break in your document, which is causing the dotted line and the page break. Here's how you can delete it:
  1. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Show/Hide" button in the "Paragraph" section. This will show all the formatting marks in your document, including section breaks.
  3. Look for the section break that is causing the dotted line. It will look like a double dotted line with the words "Section Break (Next Page)" next to it.
  4. Click on the section break to select it. You should see a gray highlight around it.
  5. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to remove the section break.

Once you've deleted the section break, the dotted line and the page break should disappear, and your text should flow normally. If you have any other section breaks in your document that you want to keep, make sure to leave them in place.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Are you sure you are looking at a Page Break? Does the page definitely break
there?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Sanguinarius" wrote in message
I've got this pesky dotted line right in the middle of my document's page.
It
apparently is a page break because all text after it goes onto the next
page.
I've gone into Draft View and made the paragraph markers show, but I can't
select the line in order to delete it.

The text after it, I go into where it says "Page break before" and it is
NOT
selected.

I don't know how it got there (IE, I didn't put it there) but it's messing
things up! I don't know how to get rid of it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, you can't delete a soft page break, but there is something causing the
text to move to the next page. If it's not "Page break before," then it is
very likely, as others have suggested, a combination of "Keep with next" and
"Keep lines together" applied to several paragraphs in succession.